Chapter 3

"Over my dead, cold body." Your words were quite firm, and you glared at the young lady who was holding out your new uniform to you. For one thing, it was a dress. You had never worn a dress, even when you were small, and you solidly refused to start now.

The young lady, looking taken aback, glanced at the uniform before staring back at you.

"I beg your pardon?" she asked, now looking more confused than anything else.

"I won't wear a dress." Your words held so much venom that the lady backed up. "Science division, fine; dress, not fine."

The lady crossed to a communicator, keeping a wary eye on you. "Mister Spock?"

"What is it, Miss Jackson?"

"One of the new science cadets is refusing her uniform, sir. As you're the chief science officer, I thought I should report it to you."

"I will be there momentarily."

You didn't remove your glare from the increasingly nervous lady, even when the door slid open and Spock entered.

"What seems to be the problem, cadet?" he addressed you.

"My name is (L/N)," you told him curtly. "And I absolutely will not wear a dress, uniform or no."

Spock raised his eyebrows at you, but you set your jaw stubbornly. You didn't give a damn if he found you strange; you were strange, and there was nothing wrong with that.

"This is most unusual," he informed you. "However, there is no regulation that says you must wear the female uniform simply because you are female. Would you find the male uniform a better option?"

"Yes." You raised our own eyebrows now. He didn't beat around the bush; he was to the point, another commendable quality in your eyes.

"Very well." He turned to face the young lady, who was still eyeing you quite nervously. "Miss Jackson, please fit Miss (L/N) to a male uniform."

"Yes, sir." Jackson quickly left the room.

"Thank you, Mr. Spock," you told the Vulcan.

He nodded briefly to you and left also. You were left alone to await Jackson's return, thinking. Maybe Vulcans were more commendable than humans. Or maybe just Spock was more commendable than humans. Either way, you had a feeling that your time on the Enterprise would prove quite . . . interesting.