Chapter 7

Sorry for the wait, I've been busy with SAT prep classes. Another chapter is going to be up later today. I'm really sorry for the wait and for those who actually read this book, I promise I'm going to finish this book as soon as I can. A picture of Connor to the side...I wonder why its called side when its right on top....
__________________________________________________________
Monday at Tendervines....

          This job was really stressing the hell our of me. The kids always needed help or always wanted to play and many other sitters already crammed themselves up in the employee station, eager for a break.
I on the other hand was with little Dale
"Alright pull out your homework let's get to the timetables" I told him.
"Actually ", he said pulling out his note book and pencil.
"It's already done. Here, check it "
         I looked through his work and indeed, it was all done, with every problem solved correctly. In his handwriting.
"who helped you? " I asked in awe.
       He stuck our his little chest out proudly as he said "no-one, I did it all on my own".
      I smiled at him, indeed I was proud. I had a feeling I knew just what happened.
"Who taught you the time tables? "
"Connor taught me last night. One to five. I still remember all of it" he smiled. I could see he was proud to show off his new knowledge
"That's great of him. You must be really smart to learn those in one night. " I said indeed, I was a bit surprised that Connor stuck to his end of the bargain.
"Yep that's what my Mom says " I laughed and ruffled his bronze coloured hair.
"You wanna impress your friends, why don't I show you a trick to learn the '9 times' table " I told him.
      I watched his eyes widen a second then his face broadened into a smile.
"Yeah. "
"Okay, so we'll start from this...9 times one is '09' so take the first digit up a number and the second digit down a number"
      His eyebrows scrunched in thought for a second then he answered "18"
"great now do it again "
"28?...27!" he beamed.
"Yeah, that's 9 times 3...go on four times? " he crunched up again then replied.
"36! It's not hard at all "
"Perfect now keep going! "
"45...54...63...72, 81....90! I'm all done!" he practically jumped in his seat.
"You see. Quite simple".
"I'm the most brilliant kid in my class now!" he beamed.
"Hold on there, Einstein. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. " I told him as I caught his contagious beam.
"Can you teach me more tricks like 10,11,15,50?!"
I laughed at his enthusiasm.
"All in good time "

"Did I come at a bad time ?"
     I turned to see Connor. He had his hands in his pocket and he was sporting a grey V-neck long sleeved shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. He looked between Dale and me then finally settled his eyes on me with a questioning look.
"hmm?" I think I forgot the question.
"No. We were just..."
"We were multiplying" Dale bailed me out.
"Were you now?" Connor asked, thankfully he shifted his gaze from me to Dale
"Yeah Sammie taught me the nine times table in like five minutes" he beamed packing up his little bag.
"Whoa, " he looked back to me and I practically looked tongue tied.
"9's a really big number. So I guess you're better at this than than I am 'Sammie'." At the mention of that childish nickname I looked up to meet his eyes making sure to exaggerate my glare which melted the moment our eyes actually met.
"It's just something...I just. He's a smart kid" I stammered
He chuckled at my expense and said
"Yeah. He is "
"C'mon buddy let's go. He led Dale towards the door as I went for my stuff.
      It was a fifteen minutes walk home and if I was going to get any rest before dinner, I needed to get a head start.
"Hey Sam." Connor called out.
I turned to see him paused by the door
"Yeah?" What did he want now? More sexual tension is so not what I need. Especially if it's one sided.
"Why dont you ride with us." he offered.
In a car with Connor simms? Never.
"Uh, no thanks. It's not that far a walk" I kindly refused.
"No. It's no problem. Really " he looked sincere enough and he wasn't an asshole today, so...
"Alright, sure. Lemme just get my stuff."
__________________________________________________________
Please vote!