A Tiresome Journey

A Tiresome Journey

Thunder clapped furiously above me and rain pelted my skin like bee stings. I rushed furiously to find a place for shelter as my clothes hung heavy with rain. I looked around wildly and spotted a cave and a feeling of hope sparked inside of me as I sprinted towards it. Once in shelter I knelt to catch my breath.

“Why does my life sucks so much!” I groaned as I finally caught my breath. I leaned against the earth wall and slid down. I looked around the dark, dank, empty cave trying to convince myself to make the best of the situation when the lightning flashed and the thunder clapped loudly. Thankfully the light helped me spot some wood a bit deeper into the cave.

“See, Kagome, things are looking up for you!” I perked up and stood trying to make the best of the situation. Getting a hold of the wood I lit a fire that instantly warmed me up. I then stripped out of my wet clothing and spread them out close enough to the fire to catch the warmth but far enough not to catch fire. Then I laid out in front of the fire to relax my tensed muscles and wait out the storm.

“Ahhhh.” I moaned out as the warmth engulfed me. I watched the tangoing fire make the white of my shirt and the red of my pants shine and began to think.

Those were the same clothes that Kaede dressed me in after the battle in the last cave. When I gained these powers. When I left Inuyasha.  It’s been exactly 3 weeks, 2 days, and one sun rise. I wished I had my watch to tell me the exact hours and minutes, but I left everything back at Kaede's hut. I have nothing but the clothing on my back, well the ground. Sighing I rolled over and looked at the top of the cave. Only to have a million eyes look back at me. My breath caught in my throat and I had to stifle the instinct to scream bloody murder. I began to slowly make my way to a sitting position keeping my eyes on the bats for a sign they may come for my life. Once I was in a sitting position I began to make my way into a standing position or at least a crouching position. In a odd crouch I began to crab walk to my clothing in a slow and steady motion keeping my eyes on the red beady ones, which is why I didn’t see the extra wood that sent me sprawling. A yelp escaped my lips as I went crashing to the ground. I quickly grabbed my clothes and hid myself under them, bracing myself for the hundreds of tiny claws that would slash at my skin. I closed my eyes in fear. And waited. …….. and waited……. and waited some more. Opening my eyes and peeking from under my shirt I realized that I wasn’t being attacked by the bats. They probably didn’t even hear me!

“Phew!” I breathed out. Screeching the bats flew from the ceiling aiming right for me. A scream erupted from my lips and I threw my hands up to shield my face.

“AH!” I screamed just as a heat rushed to my hands.

“Eeek!” The bats horribly screeched until seconds later I could hear nothing but the quiet of the cave and the rain falling softer now. Peeking from under my hands I saw the bats were gone.

I let a sigh escape me. I’m sure I killed them. A grief over took me and I felt the tears build up and silently fall. I curled in on myself and began to sob uncontrollably. Letting the aching in my heart completely consume me.

Why couldn’t I control it? Why did I have to gain these dangerous powers? Why? I didn’t want them! Not when they hurt people! Not when I can’t control them! Not when they separated me from all that I love! Mom. Sota. Grandpa. Inuyasha……