Prologue

Prologue

"Izayoi. Izayoi. Izayoi." The man taunted as he cornered the young widow. The woman showed no fear as she protectively shoved her 7 year old child behind her back.
"I told you. I am not interested" she responded calmly. The child looked on with narrowed eyes and a low growl rumbled through his chest.
"Izayoi. My patience is running thin with you. Let's go." The man demanded. Izayoi's calmness was insulting to him.
"I'm sorry. My answer is still no. Now, if you'll excuse me, my child is hungry." Izayoi responded brushing off the man completely. She grabbed the child's hand and began to move past the man.
"Listen here wench!" The man angrily responded as he grabbed Izayoi's upper arm. "I will no longer play your little game! You are coming with me and you will be my bride!" He shook her fiercely and Izayoi cried out in pain.
"Let my mommy go!" The child cried as he bit deep into the man's leg.
The man, unphased by the half-demon's teeth, punched the kid to the other side of the clearing knocking him unconscious.
"Inuyasha!" Izayoi cried, fearful of her child's safety. For 7 years, she has toughened up to protect her child from the harshness of the world: both human and demon. Snatching her arm from the man she put herself between him and her child and got into a battle stance.
"You can't be serious?!" The man roared with laughter. "You are going to fight me?" He continued to let the laughter shake him for a moment more then he settled himself wiping the back of his hand across his mouth. He stood straight and a coldness overtook him.
"Izayoi. You will be my bride tonight." He stated, a chill in his voice.
"I will not. Now, please, leave." She replied in an equally cold tone.
"You humans are stupid creatures." He replied as he charged Izayoi.
Thinking fast Izayoi removed the blade she kept tied to her thigh for emergencies and as he grabbed her she made a quick slice. The man cried out in pain.
"You cut my face!" He shouted as he held his face. Izayoi jumped back into a defensive stance waiting for the next attack and looking for routes of escape. She found none that weren't blocked by the man.
"Izayoi. Izayoi. Izayoi." He taunted again. "There is no escape." He harshly laughed as the blood trailed his face.
"You are mine and I plan to make you my bride one way or another." He stated with a devilish grin crossing his face, the blood spilling over his lips staining his perfect teeth. Izayoi fought off a shiver.
"Never in my life will I live to be your wife!" Izayoi stated calmly.
"Then I shall take you in death!" He bellowed as he charged her and grabbed a fist of her thick black hair. Izayoi winced in pain as he wrapped layers of her hair around his hand.
"Now, now, Izayoi," the man taunted as he tightened his grip, "resisting only makes it worse." He said sliding his tongue down the side of her cheek. Izayoi recoiled away but only to be pulled painfully back by her hair.
"You're mine." He breathed in her ear.
"I know what you are." She gasped out.
The man's face faltered and his grip in her hair loosened.
"You what?!"
Taking advantage of his weakness Izayoi spun and brought the knife up to slit his throat. The man caught her arm by just mere inches. Removing his hand from the ends of his hair he brought Izayoi close enough so that the blade both of their hands remained on was right between both of their throats. The blade was double sided.