17

-----

"We need to talk."

Farren's stomach dropped at the words, though he knew they were true.

"I know," he sighed in reply, making himself comfortable as he faced Kaden.

He waited for Kaden to speak. He knew what he wanted the other boy to say, yet knew that his hopes were futile. There was no way Kaden could ever, would ever like him back. But, for a brief while he convinced himself that Kaden did possibly like him back. But that hopeful idea was put to rest as soon as Kaden spoke.

"I was drunk." Said Kaden.

"Me too." Farren replied, feeling his heart sink in disappointment.

"It shouldn't have happened." Stated Kaden.

"Agreed." Farren said, even though he didn't agree. He didn't agree at all.

"I'm not gay." Said Kaden.

"Me neither." Farren replied. Technically, it wasn't a lie.

"I was drunk, pissed off about something else. You were there, I wasn't thinking."

Wow that hurt.

"We can forget about it." Farren said, wanting to do anything but forget about it.

"Let's." Kaden said simply.

"So that's settled then." Farren said, trying to keep the misery out of his tone for the sake of their friendship. He had already almost lost Kaden. He couldn't risk that happening again.

"I guess so."

"Okay." But it was not okay.

"Okay." Kaden replied.

Farren looked around the room, refusing to meet Kaden's gaze. "So what are you watching?" He asked in an attempt to make conversation.

"Forrest Gump." Kaden replied, opening the box of pizza and helping himself to a slice.

"Mind if I join you?" Farren asked uneasily, not wanting to impose.

Kaden just looked at him nonchalantly. "Sure." He shrugged, gesturing to the space next to him where Farren usually slept.

Farren pulled off his shoes and socks before stripping off until his chest was bare. He decided to keep his sweatpants on, as now didn't exactly feel like the right time to be laying next to Kaden in nothing but boxers.

He climbed into the bed, careful to leave room between himself and Kaden. They sat like that for the next two hours, until the movie ended. Side by side under the covers, yet with a wide gap between them.

The pizza box rested atop the covers between their laps.

"Had you seen this before?" Kaden asked, breaking the awkward silence that had descended over them once the end credits had rolled.

"Guess." Farren replied with a laugh.

"Yes?" Asked Kaden, a slight smile​.

"Of course." Farren smiled back.

He was surprised how quickly things were getting back to normal between himself and Kaden.

Thank God for that. The quicker the better, in fact. Because the quicker the awkwardness ceased, the sooner he would be able to pretend none of this ever happened between them. That they had never crossed the line.

He had already almost lost Kaden, that couldn't happen again. He would rather have Kaden as just a friend than not have him at all.

"So predictable Milton." Kaden chuckled with a smirk.