05

Night two. But for Farren it genuinely felt like at least night five. Each hour with Kaden was more like a day, most likely because he was never with his friends as constantly as this.

With his other friends, even Jesse, he was never with them morning, after school, evening and night. And this was only after two days. He still had another forty-one nights to go.

Thinking of his other friends, brought Farren back to the conversation he had had with them at school today. They all ate together at lunch as usual, along with the typical few cheerleaders and other 'populars' from here and there.

The team's feeling towards the roommate situation was pretty mixed. Some people, like Flynn and Devon had just decided to ignore their partners as much as they could, making the bare minimum effort, which overall seemed to be the most popular choice with the group.

Others, like Leo and Michael were losing their minds, with Leo even claiming he was on the verge of pushing his partner Brett down the stairs if he didn't stop annoying him. He was glad he wasn't in that sort of situation. It sounded exhausting.

On the other end of the rope was people like Darren and James who admitted they were getting on really well with their partners, even going so far as to say they were actually really nice guys.

As for Farren, he didn't exactly know where he fell on the spectrum. Would he consider Kaden a friend? He presumed he would. But sometimes it was hard to tell with him. Things with Kaden were so hot and cold. At first he seemed cool, then sarcastic, then cool again, then rude, then on and on and on. It was like a never ending circle and frankly, it was becoming annoying.

As for Jesse, he said that him and Luke Hensdale were getting on surprisingly good. Jesse, like all the others, said it was a little awkward at times but that Luke was pretty chill and could hold a conversation. Plus he apparently had a killer collection of Xbox games which he had brought to Jesse's. And if there was one way to win Jesse's approval it was with Grand Theft Auto.

One thing he did find different about him and Kaden in regards to the others was that it was never really awkward around him and Kaden. The conversation seemed to flow naturally enough. Sure, most of it was snarky remarks and light bickering, but they were certainly never at loss for words. Which, Farren supposed, he should be grateful for.

He had come out of the shower about twenty minutes ago and was doing that towel sit thing. You know the one, where you sit on your bed in your towel just thinking about this and that and everything in between.

He knew he didn't have to worry about Kaden bursting in, he could hear him downstairs talking to Grace and Jenny, and if Kaden were to come up the stairs he would hear them creaking.

Another five minutes passed and he finally decided that a twenty five minute towel session was enough for today. He made his way over to his wardrobe and grabbed a clean pair of boxers and changed into them quickly, before hopping into bed.

He fumbled his hand around the bedside table for a moment before finding what he was looking for, pulling his hand back with his earphones in tow. He pressed shuffle, closed his eyes and lay back in bed, the music taking over his mind as the words of Crowded House's 'Don't Dream It's Over' streamed in his ears.

It had been his dad's favourite song and no matter how much times Farren listened to it, it just never got old.

He didn't know how long he lay there, but eventually Kaden came walking into the room, his eyes sweeping over to Farren.