Chapter Three: The Supercilious Best Man

Chapter Three:

As Emily smoothed down her blouse, she couldn't help but feel a foreboding feeling creep it's way into her veins. It was almost like seconds before a storm hit, when you could practically feel it in the air -- that's what she felt at that moment. She shrugged it away once the door to her office opened, revealing the smiling faces of the newly couple she would be knowing for the next five months. Collin and Sarah Yates put in the definition of two happy-go-lucky lovers, just by their auras they expelled in the small space of Emily's office. Sarah Yates had long, wavy auburn hair that fell down her shoulders, as it seemed to catch the light in every strand. Her face was heart-shaped and tan, bringing out her blue eyes that were covered in the longest lashes Emily had ever seen on a woman. Standing next to Sarah, Emily felt small and insignificant in comparison.

It was silly, really, to think such a thought as Sarah smiled brightly at her, but Emily still felt her shoulders hunch forward with the weight of her now pitiful mood. She had no right to to belittle her physical appearance, but sometimes she would catch herself staring at her co-workers and thinking that if she looked like them then maybe her life would be different.

Maybe then she would feel satisfied with how her life was working itself out, that she was truly happy with herself.

Tammy had walked into the office, a clipboard in hand, and closed the door behind her which resounded with a loud bang. The noise had suddenly brought Emily back to the task at hand and she stumbled over her feet to give both her clients a formal handshake. She was thoroughly surprised when Sarah let go of Collin's hand and flung herself in Emily's arms, squeezing her body in her strong grasp. Emily just blinked, since the contact only lasted a few seconds and then gaped when Collin nimbly said that his wife is a hugger.

Emily shook her head before taking a seat behind her desk, offering the couple the chairs placed in front of them. Clearing her throat, Emily self-consciously fixed her blouse before taking out a pen and some sticky-notes to write a few important details about the couple. "Let's start off with the basics," She said, her voice strong. "Tell me how you two first met, how long you've been together. Really anything that you feel you need me to know." Although, Emily didn't really need much information. Just by watching the couple with her scrutinized gaze, she could tell that they were deeply in love. Not only did Emily plan weddings, she also guaranteed the couples a happy marriage. If she saw an ounce of disloyalty or greed in either the bride or groom, she'd immediately say so. It was her own little knack that she relied on when meeting new people and it never steered her wrong.

Sarah was the first to speak, which Emily had predicted just by her gleaming eyes and large smile. "Collin and I met when we were in college, we both attended Boston University together." Looking at her fiancee, Sarah gripped his hand in hers and smiled when she trailed his index finger down her cheek.

"And the moment I sat next to her in our biology class, I knew I would never get her luminous, blue eyes out of my mind." Collin said, smiling cheekily. "It started when she asked me if I needed an extra pencil, since she had two whole boxes of them. I politely declined at first but it seemed that in my rush to get to my class that afternoon, I dropped the only one I had." He shook his head, chuckling to himself softly. "When I asked for one, she just smiled at me and handed me the one she had already in her palm. The moment that class was over, she was hell-bent of making sure her pencil was returned but I told her that I needed it for the rest of my classes that hour and she let me keep it."

"For only that day," Sarah cut in, sending him a playful glare. "I distinctly remember asking you the next day if you had it, to which you replied that you accidentally misplaced it."