Chapter Twenty-Six: Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-Six:

Emily raced down the hallway, her shoes skidding across the solid flooring. She could smell the burn of rubbing alcohol and antiseptic wipes as she bypassed certain rooms. The length of her scrubs were slowing her down and she wished for nothing more than being able to rip them off. There was a flurry of people buzzing around the waiting room at the end of the hallway. A few nurses in colored fabrics were speaking to the mass of people, their arms moving around rapidly as they talked down at one man in particular.

"She is my wife, god damnit! And that is my child she's giving birth to!" Henry roared, trying to push past the barricade of women.

"We're sorry sir, but there's only one person allowed in the room at a time. Somebody is already there." One of the nurses spoke strongly.

"No need!" Emily called, gaining the attention of the nurses. "I was just there to hold his place." She doubled over for a moment to catch her breath, wincing at her smarting ribs. She really needed to get back into shape, especially now.

Henry's worried expression didn't waver, even after the countless murmurs of how strong and willful his wife is. "I got out of work as soon as I could. How long has she been in there for?"

"Her water broke about several hours ago, she's been having contractions ever since. The doctor said she isn't even close to dilated yet, much to Martha's dismay. She's been calling for you though, so go on." Giving him a high five for moral support, Emily willingly handed over the cap and mask to the soon-to-be father.

Henry didn't waste any time in running towards the delivery room, leaving his fears at the door as he walked in on his wife in tears. She was clutching the bedside bars as she rode out another contraction, this time without a coach, as her friend left to grab her MIA husband.

Henry immediately grabbed her slick hand and pressed kisses to it. "Don't cry, baby. I'm here, I'm here." She was covered in a light coating of sweat, no doubt from the hours of labor. Her dark hair was piled in a mess on top of her head and her cheeks were rosy.

"It hurts so much," Martha cried, pressing a swift hand to her shuddering bump.

"Can't you do something about the pain?" Henry asked, cringing at her tears and agony. The question was directed at the nurse whom was looking at Martha's paperwork attached to the end of the bed.

She flipped a page before glancing up. "We're not allowed to give her anything until she's at least seven millimeters."

"And how long ago did you check to see how far she was dilated?" Henry barked.

The nurse pursed her lips before placing the clipboard back and putting on a pair of gloves. She sat herself down at the stool and lifted the fabric, frowning as she did so. "Have you felt the need to push recently?" She asked.

Martha gasped aloud, pushing herself up on her elbows as another contraction passed through her abdomen. "Yes, about an hour ago. The other nurse told me that it was common and to ignore it." She pressed her lips together tightly to prevent a scream.

The nurse quickly removed her gloves and scuttled towards the door, indicating to a few nurses standing outside. "Okay, we're going to call the doctor. In the meantime why don't you practice your breathing."

Henry paled as the nurses spoke in hushed tones, before two of them ran out of the room. "What's happening?"

The original nurse closed the door before putting on a mask of her own and a new pair of gloves. "It's nothing to worry about, it just looks as though the baby has decided that it's now time." The nurse pulled Martha's feet apart further. "I'm going to need you to push for me, okay?"