Chapter Twenty-One: Heart Sick

Chapter Twenty-One:

Emily felt the bile rising in her throat as she walked back into the ballroom. Her fate was now predestined, along with the chain that was slowly choking her. Her eyes immediately spotted James hunched over in deep discussion as he spoke to Tammy.

Brushing her hair over her forehead and straightening her dress, Emily marched over towards them with a smile plastered on her face. She willed herself to forget the past few minutes and relay upon what her future was bound to look like.

James caught sight of her first and smiled back, before Tammy quickly scuttled away on her heels in the opposite direction. She hadn't bothered to wave or give her a proper greeting, to which Emily was grateful for, she wasn't in the mood for false pretenses.

James curled his arm around her shoulder and kissed her cheek. "Welcome back," he murmured. "Did you find the drinks okay?"

Emily glanced down at her empty palms and sticky dress. "It's a long story, besides we don't really need the champagne."

"You're right. You are much sweeter." He whispered huskily, playfully nipping her earlobe.

Emily held fast to the table, gripping it until her fingers turned white. It was striking how different her body could react to James, now that she knew deep down it wasn't the person it craved and desired. He couldn't curl her toes or leave her breathless, not like Cameron could.

God, just thinking about him brought on a new wave of despair. Tonight was supposed to go differently, she shouldn't have let him have his way with her, to only shatter her heart once more without even realizing it.

Nothing could be the same ever again.

Not that she now knew of his feelings for her, the ones that could have been reciprocated if only things had played out to a different tune. But no longer could it be that way, her fate was now sealed shut.

In the corner of her eye, Emily could see Cameron's tall frame walk languidly into the room with Henry on his heels. The slouch in his demeanor didn't go unnoticed, and her heart cried out furthermore.

A slow song began to play as Henry made his way to his wife, who was seated delicately at the head table, awaiting her love to return. She smiled at him, a bright, beaming smile that lit up the entire room.

Henry gracefully tugged her towards the floor before wrapping her up into his arms and swaying with her to the melody. It was so heart-warmingly beautiful that Emily had to look away.

James caught her chin between his index finger and thumb, kissing her briefly before standing up and holding out his hand. "Would you do me the honors of this dance?"

Emily smiled, though hesitantly, before placing her hand in his. They walked through the throng of people trying to catch a glimpse of the bride and groom out on the dance floor. Emily visibly stiffened as Cameron began to weave his way through the crowd as well, with a sensational red-head on his arm.

Emily curtly looked away, scolding herself for feeling so jealous. She couldn't allow herself to be manipulated by her heart any longer. Not after tonight.

Cameron deserved to be happy, and if that redhead could provide it then so be it.

She felt the incessant tugging on her palm and reluctantly followed James's lead as they found an open spot near the bride and groom.

James smiled to her before taking one hand in his, while the other hand wrapped precariously around her waist. He counted in his head before taking the first step backwards and then they were off.

"I'll lead and you follow," he murmured, gathering her against his chest as they moved somewhat hesitantly across the floor.

Emily had forgotten how forced it felt when dancing with James. They had tried taking lessons, which only resulted in a huge argument and waste of money. To be honest, there was really no hope for either of them as they both lacked the agility and grace that was required for something so sensual as a slow-dance.

It was why Emily had stumbled and knocked into the couple next to her, blushing profusely at their horrified looks.

"Don't worry about them, babe." James murmured, pressing a kiss to her cheek. "They're just stuffy, you look great!"

Emily once again had to forcibly swallow down the impending vomit that arose in her throat. This was a bad idea, she shouldn't have stayed so long to this occasion.

She should have wished both Martha and Henry a wonderful time and excused herself thereafter. It was have saved her the dignity she was slowing losing a grip of.

"James I think I'm quite tired of dancing," she mumbled, smiling sweetly. "Do you think we could take a break?"

"But we just got started." He frowned.

"My feet are killing me in these heels." He glanced down at her shaky ankles before sighing in agreement.

Emily visibly wallowed in relief from the distance of the searing gaze on her back.