Chapter 13: The Touch

"Forgive me," Callisto whispered before she scurried onto her feet again. Artemis looked surprised as she stared at her maiden. However, she was also out of wits as to what had just happened between them.

"Callisto?" the goddess's voice quivered a little, which astonished her. She was never in a state of disoriented by passion. This was new to her. Callisto bowed before she turned and left the tent, leaving Artemis confused on the bed all alone.

But something had transpired in the young goddess's mind. When Callisto kissed her, she didn't just ease away the solitude but also planted a seed of something special in Artemis's heart. Something warm and tingling, causing the ichor in her veins to burn hot.

For the first time in a long time, the immortal woman could cast away her loneliness. Yet as soon as their kiss ended, it came back to her tenfolds.

The next dawn break, Callisto was terrified to join the other maidens doing their daily chores. She knew what she did last night was punishable by death. But then there was a voice calling her from outside.

"Callisto? We're leaving for a chase," Upis said.

The nymph tried to calm her heart before she stepped outside.

"We're going hunting?" she asked. Upis nodded.

"Lady Artemis seems to be in a strange mood," she said. "She orders every one of us to go shooting the games with her."

Callisto felt uneasy at the thought of seeing her lady again, but she joined the other women anyway. She saw that Artemis was already poised on her silver-beaten chariot. Her magical hounds surrounded her like guards, ready to spring into action any time their mistress commands. All the maidens waited with their bows and arrows. Though Artemis did not glance her way, she realized the band was waiting for her alone.

The nymph trotted to stand behind the others. Artemis could feel the maiden's unease in the crisp morning air, but the goddess did not say a word.

Without delay, she cracked her silver reins, and the four golden reindeers with silver antlers burst into a gallop. Once in a while, Artemis stole a look at Callisto. The quiet maiden ran far behind the rest of the nymphs. Her cheeks were rosy as her hair flew around her in the wind. When she sprinted with her knee-high tunic, her breasts bounced and her strong slender thighs flashed like warrior's blades. Artemis felt a mild tingling in the pit of her stomach and turned away.

Her huntresses saw a full-grown mountain lion and quickly informed her. The goddess sent them along with her hounds after the game. When Callisto was about to sprint forward with the others, Artemis forbade her.

"You stay here," she said as she watched the other maidens rushing through the forest with her dogs. When they were alone, Callisto turned her head to Artemis, but the goddess's face was devoided of any emotions. She wondered if she had somehow angered Artemis after all. Her body trembled at the thought. Artemis steered her chariot closer. Her eyes gazed down at the anxious maiden.

"Come with me, Callisto," she said and held a hand out to her. Callisto looked at the glorious hand in surprise. No one had been allowed to ride the moon chariot. But gods hated waiting, so she gingerly took Artemis's hand. The goddess pulled her up then flicked her reins of the reindeer. Callisto swayed out of balance when the chariot moved. Her mind was too distracted by the sudden change, but the daughter of Zeus grabbed her elbow and steadied her back. Their eyes met again. Callisto lowered her head to hide her blush.

They rode towards a small glade near the mountain slope. There was a cave that hosted a spring. The trees and flower bushes surrounded them, hiding it from sight. Artemis stepped out of her chariot and walked towards the cave. Then she stopped and turned around, seeing that her huntress was still standing there. Artemis walked back towards her.