Chapter 7: The Nymphs

Artemis awoke to the sound of beautiful music. She opened her eyes and remembered she had fallen asleep in the north shores of the island of Crete.

She had spent the past few days hunting for some of the wild beasts of Amnisos. None were as vicious as the Python but they had all proven worthy targets.

Her dogs had shown their usefulness in the field. They led her to the direction of a new game. She even managed to train them and teach them tactics that helped corner their targets right into her sights.

But her hunting adventure felt lonely at times. She had grown bored of the solitude and began to think of companions.

During this particular morning, Artemis rose and found the shores filled with girly voices singing the song of the seas. She found the source of the sound by the beach. They were all young girls. Judging from their appearances, they weren't normal mortal children.

"What is this glory that has been bestowed upon this morning?" she asked them.

The young girls bowed to her and sang a praising song of joy and fame about Artemis. Artemis smiled. She fixed her robe to cover her developing breasts and whistled to call her hounds to her sides.

"I quite like the song," she said. "Who sent you here?"

"A gift as commanded by your father, my lady," a deep ancient voice said.

Artemis glanced around and discovered it had echoed from the waters. She stepped onto the waves and looked for the unseen guest.

"Oceanus?"

From the waters echoed a deep laugh. The land and seas rumbled and shook as the waters parted. From the depths rose a giant Titan, larger than even the Cyclopes Artemis had fought and defeated.

It was bigger than most of the gods on Olympus and definitely as big as her uncle Poseidon.

"Ah, the old Titan of the Seas," Artemis greeted. "You have come to deliver your daughters to me?"

"Yes, they are yours, all sixty of them," he answered and gestured to his young sea nymphs. "They will serve you on your many adventures. They are proud to be a part of your retinue. With this wish fulfilled, my debt to Zeus has been resolved."

Oceanus was an ancient god of the sea. He ruled the oceans before Poseidon took over his throne.

Artemis bowed in gratitude, "Thank you, Lord Oceanus. I swear a solemn oath that they shall be guarded and raised with honor by me."

Oceanus nodded back before he departed to his secluded corner of the ocean. Artemis led her newfound choir to her temple just half a mile inland where a city stood. She had already spent a day with her Oceanides where they shared a large elaborate bathing pool. Artemis found herself relishing in their lovely voices. Their wide innocent eyes looked at her in admiration. Her choir girls would remain at this young age forever as long as they stayed with her.

"Here you will reside," she told the girls. "Here you will sleep, rest, eat, and sing for me. Many days I will not be around, but I will bring several with me on my hunts."

Artemis smiled and kissed them all on the forehead. Next, she would need more mature companions to go hunting with her.

"Speaking of an adventure, I am craving for yet another," she said. "Oh well, I shall pick up a few nymphs along the way from here."

She then turned to the tallest girl.

"What is your name?"

"Opis," the girl answered.