Chapter 12: The Kiss

When the night was pitch-black and the owls started hooting from tree to tree, Callisto found herself lying awake. She had been tossing and turning with an uneasy heart. Her mind was filled with the thoughts of Artemis.

The chill mountain winds flickered her tent's flap. She caught a glimpse outside and saw that all the light in the other nymphs' tents had gone out except one. Callisto crawled out of hers and looked around. Everyone was deep in their restful slumber after a full day of hunting and chattering.

Callisto crept through the camp. At first, she did not know where her feet would take her, but her heart seemed to know where to go.

Far away near the trickling creek stood Artemis's tent. A dim light was still burning inside. She was hesitant to approach and considering turning around when a crystal clear voice came through the wind.

"Callisto?" Artemis called out to her. The goddess's sharp senses never failed her. She wondered what had driven the nymph to her place in the middle of the night. Artemis was lying in her furred bed, staring at the ceiling when she felt Callisto's presence.

"Yes, my lady," the maiden replied. Callisto was surprised that her mistress recognized her just by footsteps alone. Her own heart was thumping as she clutched her night dress in her nervous hands.

"Come inside," Artemis said.

Callisto's pulses pound harder. For a moment, she wished she could turn away and run back to her tent, but she willed herself to move forward. She did not know why she was here, but she did not want to leave either.

Artemis propped herself on her elbows as Callisto appeared at the doorway. Her face was marred with conflicted thoughts. The Huntress sat up in concern. Callisto realized that the goddess was naked underneath her fleecy blanket. She felt as if someone held a flame torch near her face. The maiden dropped her gaze from that sublime nude form and knelt down before bowing to the goddess.

"My apologies for disturbing you, my lady," she said.

"Are you alright, Callisto?" Artemis said. "You don't look well."

Callisto shook her head.

"I'm fine," she said. "I just saw the light from your tent and wondered if you want a cup of hot mulled wine."

"No, thank you, I just couldn't sleep," Artemis said as she moved over to feed the flames warming her place. She sat back down and stared out through the small window into the dark, starry skies.

She wondered if her father Zeus would hear her mind as he sat atop his throne in Olympus. She felt quite lonely tonight than ever. But Callisto brought some sort of comfort to her in a strange way.

"We are worried about you, my lady," Callisto decided to voice her feeling. "You don't take delight in the chase as often as before. The animal kingdom still needs you as a patron."

When the Huntresss looked at the quiet maiden again, a thought crossed her mind.

"Tell me, Callisto," she said. "Did you ever regret taking the oath of chastity with me?"

The nymph lifted her eyes to Artemis's in surprise. She immediately shook her head.

"No, I've never felt sorry for coming with you," she said. "I chose to be pure as you are so that I could be your companion forever."

Her words made the young goddess smile.

"Do you think a virgin can fall in love and yet still stay pure?" Artemis asked, staring without blinking at her eternal maiden.

Swiftly, the memory of two Naiads she saw by the stream entered Callisto's mind. Their passion and seductive words seemed to seep into her heart without her realizing it.

"I believe falling in love is an innocent mistake that mortals and gods alike can commit," she said.

"You're almost as wise as my half-sister Athena," Artemis said with a laugh.

If Athena heard her, she did not mind. There was not much left for her to do but going to bed. She hoped that tomorrow might bring upon her a new adventure that could keep her mind away from the solitude that plagued her heart.

"I'm going to sleep now," the goddess announced. Callisto bowed at her and rose up to help tug her mistress.

Artemis wondered if it would be fine for her maiden to come in and share her bed? The Archeress hesitated for a second but then she felt the strong urge to be in Callisto's presence.

Callisto wore barely anything at night, save for the soft white silk she had. Artemis could see the nymph's nipples through the fabric. Her lithe form was lovely beyond words.

As Callisto leaned over to pull the blanket over the goddess, Artemis reached over and encompassed the maiden in her arms. She buried her face in the virgin woman's breasts.

"Your body is so soft and lovely," she sighed. "Why is that so after all the running and hunting?"

"M-my lady," Callisto softly gasped as her body was now lying atop her mistress. Her divine touch sent a shiver through her backbone. It was chilling outside, and the warmth they shared was instantly appealing.

"Callisto...will you stay here with me?" Artemis asked, her brilliant eyes looked up at the nymph's face. "I don't want to sleep alone tonight."

The young nymph paused for a moment. She knew she would do anything to shoo away Artemis's blue. With that thought in mind, she nodded and joined her in her fleecy bed.

"Much better," Artemis sighed again as she rested her golden head upon Callisto's chest. Although the nymph had seen Artemis's maidens huddled closely together when they took their rest or bath, she wasn't one to be too intimate. Now her heart almost leaped out of its place, and she feared that the goddess would hear its frantic rhythm.

Sure enough, Artemis flinched and looked at Callisto's face, which resembled a startled deer.

"You look like one of those maidens on their wedding night," she said with a giggle. "Don't be nervous, you're not lying with a man. I am your friend."

"Forgive me, my lady," Callisto said. "It is rare for you to do this."

"I know," Artemis said. "I have to be strong for all to see. But you always seem to find me when I'm down. Thank you, Callisto. You're very kind to me."

For a long while, the two women lay in each other's arms in silence. Artemis found comfort in the curve of Callisto's neck. Her skin was like silk against her own. She breathed in her pleasant scent that reminded her of a spring meadow. Artemis needed this. That moment the Huntress shut her eyes and basked in the overwhelming sensation.

"I have a confession, my lady," Callisto suddenly said.

"A confession?"

"I...I want to pleasure you," the nymph answered straightforwardly, but her voice was quivering with nervousness and desperation.

"Pleasure me?" Artemis said.

The nymph then mounted the goddess and lavished her attention on her nude form. She could hear her pulses beating in her ears. Artemis could have her hounds coming in and tear her apart for this disrespect, but the nymph couldn't resist the urge even if it would kill her.

To her surprise, Artemis remained still and silent. For a long moment, the two of them just stared at each other. Callisto's gaze spilled over the goddess's nakedness. Her skin was luminous like the moonlight itself and the sight of those full round breasts had her inside churn with needs. Unable to contain her passion, the nymph leaned forward and dug her lips down, kissing the young goddess on the mouth.

Artemis had never felt anything softer than the maiden's lips. She had tasted the ambrosia and nectar of the gods, but nothing had the same tantalizing taste like Callisto's kiss.