Chapter 9: The Fury

The mortal men, seeing the fairest of maidens ride over the mountains at night, wielding her silver bow, followed by the nymphae and their torches, called her the Goddess of the Moon.

When morning broke, the skyline was littered with heavy clouds. Artemis began her routine as usual. The wild offered her many beautiful streams. Her handmaidens would tend to their mistress, preparing her garments and guarding her bow as the goddess was taking her bath.

It was Callisto's turn with Artemis. It was her first time for she had never done it before. She was born a princess. Other people would attend to her, but when her mistress doffed off her tunic, the nymph's heart was whacked by Artemis's beauty. Her milk-white skin was gleaming like the moonlight. The winds tousled her silken hair, which looked like spun gold.

Artemis stepped into the stream and submerged herself to the waist. Callisto could see her goddess body shimmering brightly under the water. Artemis turned her nude form around to face her. The maiden quickly dropped her gaze to the ground.

"Come to join me, Callisto," she said with a giggle. "The water is too nice not to share."

Callisto struggled for breath, filled with wonder and confusion. Artemis reached a slender hand towards her, across the expanse of the laughing water. The nymph took her hand and dipped her leg into the stream. Artemis almost carried her to its depths, the strength of her grip, the length of her beautiful body against hers.

Callisto felt the first stirring of longing but dismissed it before she knew what it was. The water was gentle on her skin. Artemis traced her slender fingers over the maiden's refined shoulders.

"Such beauty you have," said the goddess. "I can see why mortal men would act like fools because of this."

Callisto's cheeks went hot with shyness. She wanted to tell her lady that she was the most beautiful being she had ever laid eyes upon. But Artemis turned away and swam on her back leisurely.

Then all of a sudden, the goddess's face shifted to a nearby grove. Her arched brows furrowed as her eyes went ablaze with rage.

"You filthy pig!"

It was said that a young man named Actaeon had glimpsed her bathing in a stream. The goddess was so beautiful he could not bear to go away but hid there in the bush, spying.

Artemis sensed him there and immediately changed him into a stag. His skin grew sleek fur, his hands and legs shrank into hooves. A pair of antlers burst from his skull, and the man's screams turned into squealing deer-like sounds.

Artemis whistled for her hounds. They rushed at once to tear Actaeon to pieces. Callisto gasped while she stood, witnessing the punishment in terror.

Artemis then turned and left the stream without looking back again.

It was because of that men began to learn of her temper and dared not to cross the goddess in speech or manners.

But after her moment of wrath passed, Artemis felt pity for the poor fellow and declared the stags as her sacred animals.

~*~

On the sixth night of the sixth month of the year following the formation of Artemis' retinue, the Huntress came to look up to the stars and read the events of the ongoing war between the Achaeans and Trojans. Her brother Apollo was one of the chief defenders of Troy, but Artemis often kept herself from stepping in directly on the battlefield.

But that night, Artemis felt a strange chill in the air. It was a heavy knot forming in her gut. She knew something had gone awry.

Suddenly, a voice drew her attention. Artemis spun around and found the young nymph, Callisto, standing by the doorway of her tent.