13. Angels vs. Devils

Everyone else is just as stunned and confused. The Wreckers are all looking at Nina with raised eyebrows like they just can't wait for an explanation. The Bangerz, however, glance between my cousin and me with a range of expressions. I notice that they all have a hint of distaste, though - especially Jason's. He clenches his jaw and tightens his hold around my shoulders.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, looking at Nina incredulously. I know she's not just here to watch like the crowd gathered around the fence. They're really watching us now.

"I could ask you the same thing." Nina crosses her arms over her chest and sticks her chin out, defiant. That's my cousin: kind and good-mannered and well-behaved but never afraid to defend herself. Basically like me.

"How do y'all know each other?" Za questions for everyone.

"She's my cousin," Nina and I say simultaneously, and the crowd around us sounds with a chorus of "Oohs" and "Oh shits". Both the Wreckers and the Bangerz groan, and I hope that my friends' annoyance isn't directed at me. I'm sure that us being cousins is a conflict of interest. But how was I supposed to know Nina is a part of Jason's rival crew? I thought I knew my cousin. I was wrong.

"Why you ain't tell us your cousin joined their crew?" Quavo asks Nina, sending her a sharp look. Obviously he's the leader.

"I didn't know," she insists. "I swear. She just started hanging with them when she started at North Shore, I guess."

Adrian snorts. "She's a newbie. No wonder she was so quick to snitch."

"You've caused a lot of trouble for a newbie," Tate notes, giving me a dirty look.

"Like what?" I demand, my irritation and confusion mounting. I want some answers and I'm tired of them referring to me in the third person, or like I'm not even there. "And my name's not 'she' or 'newbie' or 'snitch'. It's TK."

"I thought it was Tessa." Cherry purses her red lips and glances between Nina and me.

"Does she have to say it again?" Khalil threatens, looking extremely annoyed.

"Back to what I was saying," Tate interrupts, raising a hand and dissolving the tension - sort of. She steps forward and glowers at all of us. But me especially. "The trouble. You rocked the boat, newbie. TK. Whatever. Some serious shit is about to go down between our crews. We're in the middle of war. How do we know you won't go running and snitching again when it gets real? This time to the cops?"

They all cock an eyebrow and give me intimidating expressions, like they're daring me to go running my mouth. Or trying to force me to break down and give it up. But I'm doing neither. This is part of my test, I know: my first experience with the gang. If I can't handle the initiation - getting antagonized and put on blast by the Wreckers - then what can I handle?

Meanwhile, I see what Jason said about them being so petty.

"I'm not going anywhere," I declare, my voice bitter and firm. "If you wanna worry about someone chickening out, you should be worrying about Nina."

"Excuse me?" she snaps in disbelief. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means that last time I checked, you were afraid of the dark and driving too fast," I point out, gesturing to our surroundings. "I just don't understand how you're here, and why I never knew about you being a..." I trail off at a loss for words. What is she, exactly? I can't reconcile any of this.

Nina stands defiantly and pouts. "We're not kids anymore, mami. And what about you? You shocked me. Why are you hanging out with them?" Her gaze is resentful as it travels over the Bangerz.