Part 16 The return of trust

But now he trusted Harry, May and George, and more, he realised he had feelings for May.  For the first time since Becky he really cared about someone.  "Dad!" he said urgently, "they only know for sure that you and I are aboard this plane, there is a way out of this.  You land her and get out with George and they will assume it is me.   They will meet you I'm sure as you leave the plane.   I can fly her, you know I can.  Please let me do this for our friends!"  Alan was horrified by his son's idea.  There was no way he was going to let his son do this.  "Jules this has become very dangerous now, someone could get hurt, or even killed"  "Dad!" Jules said intensely "let me do this for May then"  Alan stared at his son in astonishment, and then feeling very emotional he said in a choked voice "promise me you won't get yourself killed my darling son"  Julian nodded.  In a loud voice Alan announced to everyone that they would be landing in 20 minutes at approximately 7 55 am. 

" George, you  come up front with me and sit in the co pilots chair.   Put your hood up, and as soon as we touchdown you come with me, put your sunglasses on too.  The very minute George and I are apprehended Julian is going to take off again.  Harry and May you two must from now on keep low and out of sight.  They are probably going to be watching us  through binoculars, It will be down to you three then.   Good luck Harry, it has been a privilege.    Harry leaned forward and kissed a startled Alan on the cheek and then he sank back and he and May pulled some coats over themselves and hid at the back.   George maneuvered himself into the co's chair next to Alan.  "Put the headset on as well George it will help hide your face even more.  Hopefully they won't realise it's you until it's too late"   He explained to George that he was going to overshoot the runway as much as he dared and spin the plane around quickly.  "As soon as we stop jump out with me and we will walk very fast towards the arrival building".   Alan pulled on his own headphones and turned on the radio.  Immediately a voice was telling him to urgently respond.  He acknowledged the controller, and told him "I am Cherokee Piper 3084 with two occupants.  Alan and Julian main.  I am low on fuel and I am landing now! please instruct me."    This is the kind of nightmare no airport wants, an unscheduled landing.  Fortunately because the police were already there and expecting them the short private aircraft runway had already been cleared for an emergency landing.

The controller told Alan to approach from the East and look for a blue coloured landing strip.  He told him to put down on it, and to taxi to the small  blue building on the left, and to stay in the aircraft.   Another voice cut in suddenly" Mr Main this is D.I. McArthur here, welcome to Reykjavik sir.   You have led us a merry chase, we believe Harry Nichols is aboard your aircraft.   Please do not disembark or we will shoot you"    Alan answered  "we are on our own inspector, yes he was here, he stayed behind to throw you off of his scent and made us take off at gunpoint.  He sabotaged our radio and I have only just managed to get it working again.  Through out all of this we have been his prisoners and we are very grateful to you all for your efforts to apprehend him."   Alan grinned at George and said to him "well at least that ought to stop them shooting us when we get out.    keep your hood up and glasses on, and try to keep your head down.  Good luck everyone!"

The small runway was looming up fast beneath their wheels, and then they were down.   Racing along the tarmac towards the stop zone near the little blue building on the left.   Alan deliberately under braked as they raced along and thus they overshot the stop zone, and ended up almost in the rough at the end.   With a final heavy stamp on the brakes he expertly spun the little plane and stopped.   Alan and George jumped out of the little cockpit and very briskly strode towards the approaching policemen, who had guns trained on them, but now they were holding fire as they could hardly shoot freed civilians from a hostage situation.   Seconds before the first policeman reached them there was a roar as the little planes engine burst back into life with Julian now in the chair that had been occupied moments before by Alan.