Part 10 A fly in the ointment

24 hours earlier......

Harvey Nichols got home from work to find Lizzie in a uncommonly good mood.  Which considering all that had happened was to say the very least,  bizzare.  Before he even got the chance to speak she threw herself into his arms and told him how their son had came to see her.  "Oh Harvey our boy was here, he is fine now and he looks so much better"  Frowning deeply Harvey asked her where Harry was now.  You know what he's Like Lizzie told him, He said that after such a life changing experience he is going to travel and do all of the things that he always dreamed of.  "What things!.  What things did he dream of?". Harvey spat the words at his wife venomously.   Trying to sooth Harvey's  sudden burst of temper she said he told her that for a long time now he had felt that he wanted more from life, some adventure while he was young enough to do these things and to feel that he had achieved something in his own right.  This terrible thing that had happened to him, well it had made him see that he needed to go and make his life count instead of just going through the motions in the way he always had done.   "You know what dear" she said to him, "I can see his point and I think he has made the right choice.  He asked me to explain it to you and to tell you how much he loves you.  He is going to contact you as soon as he is settled".   With tears in his eyes Harvey screamed into his wife's face "what are you talking about, since his accident he never dreamed of anything, except probably suicide.  He had half of his brain obliterated by the force of the car that mowed him down that day.  You saw the x-rays for yourself, and now he can't even speak properly. Have you gone completely mad?"    Lizzie's mouth dropped open in surprise at her husbands venom.  "Harvey are you ok? why are you saying these awful things about our son, you know how clever and positive he is.  He just wants to prove himself and to realise his own potential".

Harvey could feel tears welling up now.  "Darling" He said.  "Our son is severely disabled and he will never recover.  he has the mind of a 12 yr old, if that!  and that's as good as it will ever get.  I know all of this has been a terrible shock to you.  I am going to the hospital right now and see for myself what the current state of affairs is.  You stay here and rest and try not to worry.  I will ring you as soon as I have satisfied myself that our boy is ok".  Lizzie tearfully shook her head.  "that is a wicked lie Harvey, that our son is disabled.   Fine!  you go to the hospital, and while you are there you had better get the doctor to take a look at your head.  Your mind seems so muddled I'm not even sure you are safe to be driving today.  It's no wonder he asked me to make his excuses for him he knew how unreasonable you would be!"  Slamming the front door shut he stormed over to the car and sank heavily into the drivers seat.  Obviously something  was very wrong but his head was spinning and he was almost doubting his own sanity.  He rang the hospital and told them that he was on his way and that he would be looking for some detailed information about his son's condition and his treatment.

Janet Glendale picked up the phone and frowned deeply as she heard the distraught voice of Harry's father on the other end of the line.  She told him to by all means come over right away and she would answer all of his questions to the best of her ability.   He had not sounded in a very good humour so she gathered up all of Harry's medical notes and test results.  Also the x-rays they had taken.  The sound of his father's voice made her think they were going to be needed.

An Hour later and Harvey Nichols was being ushered into a small cosy office in the little Epping hospital.   "Please take a seat Mr Nichols,  you obviously have pressing reasons for being here right now."   Harvey told Janet about the story his wife had relayed to him when he got home that evening from work.  And also made it clear to her that his son had not been the brightest star in the sky since being the victim of a high speed hit and run incident many yrs previously.  She heard him out and then she told him that in fact what his wife had told him was to the best of her knowledge a pretty accurate summing up.  Obviously she explained "We weren't aware that your son already had problems.  And the reason for this is that when we took the initial x-rays of his head there was no brain damage and no sign of head injury.  Also no evidence of any in the past.  I am very sorry about all of this Mr Nichols, your son is a very determined and focussed young man and all  of this has caught us out as well"  Rudely interrupting her Harvey said "He is mentally retarded,  He walks with a limp since his brain was half destroyed, and his only field of determination has been in how to end his wretched life."     

Subconsciously shaking her head Janet stood up and picked up some folders from the side desk and placed them in front of Harvey.   "Sir, these are the head x-rays we took when he was admitted to us. Needless to say there were others also taken when he was taken to Harlow A&E.  Now trust me on this there is no brain trauma here.  This is a very healthy brain.  Also here are MRI  scans that we took of his head and body.  Everything about him is pretty near perfect.  Your son was in very good shape.  And yes, this was a puzzle for us because he was so unresponsive.  Mr Nichols are you alright?"    He mopped his forehead and looked at her with tears in his eyes. "I'm sorry but it would seem that we have both been duped.   I don't understand how, and I can't imagine how anyone can be so heartless.  Eight years ago my son was struck by a hit and run driver at high speed.  He suffered horrific head injuries and lost a portion of his jawbone and  half of his teeth.   With a lot of specialist treatment he did make some kind of recovery and mercifully without any disfigurement.  He also lost his future on that day.  We need to contact the police immediately.  I don't understand how but that young man was not my son.  He is an imposter and may well be dangerous".   Now it was Janet's turn to be alarmed.  "If you are right then I have put a member of my own staff in grave danger".