Big Eyes

He was taking the girls advice, and he never took anyone's advice. FP pulled up outside the Twilight Drive-In and sighed. His motorcycle engine revved before he shut it off and pocketed the key. His boots crunched against the gravel as he walked up to door.  The man looked at the door for a while and then he knocked on it. The theater was broken down and he knew it wouldn't be long before it was demolished. He remembered bringing his two kids here with his wife. The kids were stashed in the trunk and would come out just as the movie started. He sighed, his eyes filling with regretful tears.

"Jughead?" He called, there was brief shuffling on the other side of the door before it was swung open. His boy stood there, FP saw the same look in his son's eyes as he did when he looked at the man in the mirror. Jughead sighed and shook his head. FP sensed a sick kind of amusement that Jughead felt in his stomach. The boy was the spitting image of his father, both in looks and attitude. Jughead Jones and his father were a match in wit and they never lacked a battle with eachother. A battle which Jughead usually began and finished. 

"Dad. Wow never expected to see you today. It's a Saturday at 10 am. I don't think I've seen you awake this early in years. Didn't finish the bottle last night I see." Jughead chuckled and FP shifted awkwardly. It stung him to hear his boy say that, even if it was true. Truer than FP would have liked.

"Well you gonna let me in, kid?" The same nickname he sometimes called Harper slipped out of his mouth and made him feel even more awkward. Jughead nodded and opened the door for his dad to come in. FP looked around at the small projection room, covered in movie posters. There was a small cott in the corner with blankets strewn all over. An overwhelming feeling of responsibility and guilt washed over him, nauseating him.

"So, what brings you here?" Jughead asked. FP didn't know why he was there.

"I just wanted to see how you were, Jug." FP said his hands in his leather jacket pockets. Jughead almost began to laugh. His lack of respect for his father had dwindled to nothing in his absence from home and FP's skyrocketting drinking problems. 

"Please, like when have you cared about that." Jughead rolled his eyes asking a rhetorical question.

"I-I just... I don't know. Just know you're welcome home whenever.  You're my son. Please just know I'm here for you." FP said beginning to walk to the door. His eyes instinctively darted over his shoulder at his son who was not finished yet.

"So you came here, started this and now you're just leaving? You know it doesn't work like that. You've said that before dad, you never mean it. So tonight when you and all your buddies come and trash the place like you always do, I'll  get to clean up your mess. Just like I always have. Cleaning up after you since I was a kid and since mom left. Cleaning up after you and your bullshit. You're pathetic you know that? So no, to answer your unstated question, I'm not coming home. I can't even begin to think about how much I would hate it." Jughead's nostrils flared as hot tears begin to roll down his face. FP doesn't wait for more words from his son's mouth. He walks out, slamming the door behind him. 

"I hate you!"   Why had he taken that girl's advice? He strode to his bike got on and started the engine. He drove away without looking back, drawing into himself and regretting what he did.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I shouldn't have gone to see him." FP shook his head as he walked beside the girl. It was the last day of school and it seemed that the two friends both breathed a sigh of relief. Both their hands swung carelessly beside each other's, brushing occasionally, aching to wrap around each other's.