Straight to the Heart

Chapter Two

“Hey.”

I whirl around, shooting the vampire straight in the heart. He goes down, eyes draining of life. I watch as his body goes limp, and his left arm twitches for a second before laying flat on the black, cold, cement. They all go a different way; some yell out, some glare, some just die.

65.

I step over the body, my black boots thudding against the hard ground. I never wear anything else. They go with my black jeans, and that’s where I store extra ammo and weapons. My hostler stays neatly tucked through the belt loop of my jeans. I usually wear shirts that are dark colored; this one happens to be the same shade of the night sky tonight.

My dark brown hair I keep down. I never put it up. I have to keep it down and long in order to stay alive. Vampires will take no hesitation in biting me and sucking all my blood out. I haven’t put my hair in a ponytail since I was three years old. I’m going to keep it that way.

I’m somewhere in the backstreets of Virginia. It’s a little neighborhood but the outskirts are filled with clubs and drunk people. They make the easiest target for vampires. Drunk people, dark clubs, dark nights, they fall for anything. Which is why I don’t get drunk. The next easiest target would be dumber or less athletic people. Can’t think straight and they can’t out run them.

Vampires are stronger, but they have the same reflexes as humans do. Like I said, the only advantage is that they’re stronger. I’m glad they can’t move faster than us; I’d probably be dead already.

As I walk back to my hotel room, the crappy little one I’m staying in just for the night, I can’t help but think I’m being followed. I keep looking around for footsteps or a pair of eyes but I get nothing. 

So I get to my room, sighing, and flicking on the light. I kick my boots off, placing my extra weapons on the little table next to me. I carefully remove my holster, placing it underneath my pillow. I don’t trust anyone. A vampire can come seek revenge in the middle of the night; it’s rare though, because I never leave a trace.

I fling my shirt and jeans off, changing into comfortable sweats and a baggy t-shirt. This is the only time I’m allowed to relax, but barely. I still have to worry about vampires. It’s not like they don’t know who kills them. If you’re the number one vampire hunter in America, you’re bound to be the number one enemy of vampires. 

I cuddle into my bed, almost immediately passing out.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Around three in the morning, I’m awoken by a sound. I keep my eyes shut though, just in case there is someone here. My hand is already moving from underneath my pillow, gripping onto the sword. It’s longest and I can do some damage with it. If I grab the gun, I’m still half-asleep, and my aim would be completely off.

The sound again. The sound of someone shuffling around. I feel someone touch my hair - I mean stroke it. I can’t stay fake-asleep any longer. I open my eyes and thwack the sword onto the person’s arm.