Crowded In.

I left early in the morning the next day. Once again covering myself from prying eyes, I walked into the street and headed to Matthew and Roses home. It was still quiet out, but it was a beautiful morning. The air crisp and fresh and the morning sun casting amazing colours in the dawn sky. Grant me strength, I sent the silent prayer to who ever was listening to lost souls. I neared the gates to Matthews home and pushed them open. Knocking on the door, I waited to face my friends.

The door was answered by a man I had not seen before. I knew I did not like the look of him straight away. He had beady little eyes and his lips were thin on his face, setting his mouth into a grimace of loathing. Short and fat, he reminded me of a dirty street rat. Not the sort of person I would expect Matthew to hire or Rose to tolerate. 'What do you want?' He sprayed spit at me as he spoke. His breath smelt worse then he looked. 'I am here to see the master of the house. Is he available?' I answered him. My unease was growing and if this man refused me, I would simply cut him down.

The servant looked me up and down. 'No weapons, hand it over' His eyes had rested on my sword. 'This sword does not leave me, now if you do not take me and present me to your master, I will give you a good look at my blade as the last thing you ever lay eyes on' I was enraged. How dare this pig of a man order me about. He backed up a step in surprise and I took it as a chance to barge past him. I stormed down the hallway to one of the sitting rooms that Matthew enjoyed, all while the servant called after for me to stop.

I pushed the door open and looked in. No one there. I continued through the house, searching rooms only to find them empty. And now I could not locate the little rat man. He had stopped following me after I had checked the first room. A sure feeling of dread washed over me. Where were they? I returned to the main hall and saw the man standing at the door, talking to someone. I strode down the hall towards him. I would get some answers even if I had to beat them out of him. Drawing my sword a few paces short and pointing it at the man. 'Where are your master and Mistress? Tell me now!' I roared at him. He only smiled a dangerous smile at me and indicated I should look at the front door.

Keeping my sword trained on the man, I stepped towards the door but stopped in shock when my eyes took in the scene in front of me. There were no less then thirty men piled into the court yard. All armed and looking at me. Dotted here and there through out the men, I was the darkness. Men with dark eyes and black souls looked up at me with fear written on their faces while the others had looks of determination and hatred. I knew then that these men had been waiting for me and that I had a lot of powerful men scared.

I saw a slight movement from my side and caught the little rat man by the throat as he lunged at me with a dagger. Holding him up high, his feet lightly scraping the ground, I plunged my sword through his belly and out his back. Still holding him, I pulled my sword clear and watched as intestines pulled from his middle and slopped to the ground at my feet. I threw him away from me and flicked my blade at the men in front of me, sending blood flying into their faces. They recoiled in disgust.

'Still your weapons men and stand down' A loud, powerful voice carried from the back of the men. The crowd parted a little to let a tall warrior walk through. He walked slowly but with purpose towards me. Tall with broad shoulders, he was rippling with muscles and authority. His arms and legs were covered in scars and he had a still healing wound running down his face from his eye to his jaw. His eyes a piercing crystal blue, no trace of darkness. He had a sword at his side that was twice as big as mine but did not make a move to draw it.

'We have no orders to harm you Mistress Raven. All we were sent to do was to return with you to our Captain. No one will touch you and you may walk unhindered' The warrior said, holding his hands up, palms out to me. I looked around at the men and took a step forward. Every man in front of me took a quick and clumsy step back. I smiled at the irony of it. Thirty men, all frightened of one little woman. At the smile, they all took yet another step back. 'Men! Clear out to the street. Give her room to decide what she would like to do' The warrior called out loudly.

'And what makes you think I will be going with you? I think I could take the lot of you in say, oh I do not know, eight turns of the clock' I looked on the warrior. We were both sizing each other up, deciding if it could be done. 'The reason why you will come with us is because there are a few people you are looking for in our company. Two women and a man, whom I believe live in this house. My captain says that if you accompany us freely to meet with him, he will release your friends. A fair deal I would say'.

I could not read this man at all. His eyes seemed to speak to me of honesty and yet his bearing said he was confident and possibly lying. Even with his hands up, he still looked as if he could grab his sword at a moments notice and would cut me down. But I could not ignore the fact that these men had my friends. And no matter what, I had to get them back. Crouching down, I cleaned my blade on the shirt of the dead rat man and sheathed my sword. 'Right then, where to?' I asked. The warrior cast his hand at the gate. 'Oh no, you lead the way sir and I shall follow' He simply nodded his head and walked from the court yard with me following.