Lost in a bath

Rose had lain out fresh clothing for Susanna and I, that belonged to her daughter as there was no chance either of us would fit anything from Roses many wardrobes. I was shown to a room for bathing, while Susanna was lead to another room. She looked fearful to be away from me and in the company of strangers but I reassured her these were nice people and I would be with her again soon. I had slid into the beautifully warmed water that had been prepared for me and was contemplating never leaving the tub when Rose came into the room.

I tried to cover myself but there was nothing for it. ‘Oh come now, don’t be going shy with me woman. You’ll need someone to help you sort through that birds nest on your head’ she said while pulling up a stool. Without another word she took up a comb and started pulling the knots and half my hair along with it, from my scalp. ‘I’m not going to pry any answers to my questions from you at this point, but there is a lot to be discussed’ she said as she finished with my hair. I just nodded at her statement, knowing she was brimming with the need to know. When I was clean and dressed would be soon enough, I did not want to have to repeat myself. And I also needed to know what they had heard of the raiders.

Rose pulled a small pouch from her pocket and pulled from it a sewing kit. I raised an eyebrow at her. ‘You’ve a long gash running down your shoulder the looks infected. I’ll need to drain and sew it so it will heal’ she mumbled at me while pushing me forward to inspect it closer. ‘WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THIS’ she thundered while running her fingers over my spine. I had forgotten about the flowers and vines tattooed to my back. I had already decided I would not tell anyone about the fate weaver and the deal I had made. People would not understand, if they believed me at all.

All I could do was lie. ‘One year while David and I were on our travels, we encountered a man who had many of these pictures draw on his skin but they did not wash away. David was so taken by them, he paid the man to do the flowers on my back and he himself had the same done to his’ I hoped she believed it. ‘Well it is quite unseemly to have another man touch you in such a way, but the flowers are quite beautiful’ she said while she tried to rub the tattoo off my back with a cloth. ‘I would not let too many people see this my dear. It will get peoples tongues waggling’

I sighed with resignation. With skilled hands, she bled and cleaned my wounds, and stitched them cleanly. When she was done, she left while calling over her shoulder from the door ‘Now you hurry along there. We are all waiting, you understand’ and closed the door behind her. I finished my bath quickly and dressed while my body was still damp. I noticed that Rose had run off with the ragged remains of my dress. It would not surprise me if she had a worker burn it so I could not retrieve it. I smiled at the thought.

Leaving the bathing room, I made my way down the hall to the sitting room where I knew everyone would be waiting. As I pushed open the door, I gasped. The room was filled with people. Most of them I knew from my business dealings over the years, but there were a few people I didn’t know who had an air of authority to them. Susanna was sitting in a corner, surrounded by people and looking very timid and frightened. I rushed straight to her side and placed a reassuring hand on her arm. This was going to be a long day.