Act XVI: The Code of Brothers

As elegant and lavish threads adorned the bodies of the throng that persisted to take up the dance floor, a sweet and bouncing melody washed over and flooded the room with sweet music. The ballroom itself was grand enough to equal if not surpass its guests. The tall ceiling was shimmering under the starlight of freshly polished glass The moon sat high idle in the sky envious of the festivities it saw below.

Christening each face in the room were hand crafted custom masks, no two a like in any manner, down to the cut of the piece. It was apparent however, that beneath the masks, the patrons were still overly caked with make-up shedding doubt on the sincerity of the well groomed and finely chiseled lot as they sipped pleasantries and made small talk.

On one side of the room, in front of the dance floor and below a double sided curved stair case sat the band responsible for the evenings wonderful tunes. They were dressed identically in black and white tuxedos moving with impeccable timing and focus with each other. The director stood stoically waving his hands mostly with his eyes closed. He too wore a mask, but much more plain than the feathered and jeweled ones that surrounded him.

The evening was splendid. Drinks were passed from hand to hand, from the roaming hostesses to the tenders of the well kept bar across the room from the band. Tables sat around the dance floor giving enough room for everyone to dance, but still not far enough to avoid the occasional drunk who happened to stumble to far away from their partner.

Mason moved gracefully through the crowd almost like a ghost. He made little to no contact with anyone as he moved, only shrugging and dipping his shoulders to move between the party goers. He was dressed in a pressed white suit coat and trousers. His shoes were of the same color was his shirt. His vest and tie both were silver with ornate patterns woven into the fabrics. From his right shoulder swung a series of golden bands wrapping around his left arm and reattaching at the right shoulder again.

He peered through a blue and white feathered bird mask, which exposed his jaw. He cast his gaze over the crowd passing from face to face. His hair was slicked back, tucked behind his ears and formed very proper. To any other person, he was just another guy at the ball. Finally his eyes met the seemingly only party goer wearing black. He sighed shaking his head.

Lucius sat a table alone sipping a glass of champagne while eying the crowd. He has=d dressed up a little bit due to Mason's nagging. A deep purple shirt under a black vest bound by a black tie. His slacks and shoes were black as well. It was all enough to blend, but Lucius couldn't part with his long black coat and scarlet scarf. Thankfully they had both been cleaned before the event.

His mask was also a bird's mask with large holes for the eyes. The jewels and feathers matching his color heme perfectly with small gold details. Aside from the loudness of his black clothing, he looked pretty normal for a masquerade ball. Lucius flipped the collar of the coat up as Mason approached.

Mason and Lucius exchanged a greeting nod and friendly wave. They acted as if strangers so as to not attract unwarranted suspicion to themselves. Lucius motioned with one hand to an empty seat at his table and Mason nodding again took the seat beside him. The two had full sight over the room from where they sat, precisely where they needed to be.

Lucius shifted his body masking his mouth from sight and made hand gestures to imitate a conversation. He opened up a telepathic link between the two to speak in private.

"Lovely party, glad we came," Lucius said over the link and taking a sip of his drink.

"I've been to better," Mason replied over the link.

"I'm sure you have, Master Silverclaw," Lucius replied shooting him a sarcastic grin.

"Oh do you?" Mason asked returning a stern look.