Act IX: Tribulation of the Demon Slayer

Jericho, a slender stout boy, no older than fourteen, strolled down the garden path lined with various vinery and flowers of all nature. Jericho was young in the face and slender in body, but it only apparent when he was naked. The boy was clad in baggy, loose-fitting clothing; a jacket; faded blue, a navy blue sleeveless shirt, and faded grey trousers that drooped around his heels. His hair was the only odd part about him; his bangs were white as the back was jet black. His eyes were a turquoise mix that seemed to change with every new wind.

            Flora bloomed on either side of him and birds glided lazily overhead from tree to tree in search of food. Jericho walked with a basket in his right hand hanging low to the ground filled with the flowers he had picked. He strode to the front gate past the fountain where two lovers sat whispering sweet nothings into each other’s ears. Jericho paid no attention to them and walked through the high brass gate and closed it behind him.

            He walked along the line of shrubbery that acted as a fence of sorts for the garden to the west side where the sun was setting just over the ridgeline of the mountains not too far off. At his next turn he turned into the main street of his town; a little cramped town with houses stacked one on top of the other with only one main road stretching the entire length with alleyways breaking off to branch out and connect the rest of the town. Shops lined the main street thus bringing in a flood of people making it difficult for Jericho to even move through, but he was use to this.

            Not a day had gone by without his trip to the gardens a back through the evening rush at the market. He knew the times at which the traffic was fair to horrible. As usual he saw the same people lined the street, not necessarily selling anything; the priest who stood on a crate to elevate himself o speak to all those who still listened to him, the homeless man who sold flowers that he had swiped from the gardens, only a fool would buy his dying flowers. The last, but not least was the harlot and her friends hiding in alleyways in plain sight to attract customers.

            Jericho never really liked to hang around the market place itself, if he absolutely had to, which was when either his mother was buying groceries or his father was on patrol, he would sit on the concrete edge of the fountain basin in the center of town. Today however, he had to hurry home back to mother.

            The young boy ducked under a fruit stand snatching an apple and dashed down the alley behind it, scaling up the building, and climbing up onto the roof. He covered the inside of the basket with a woven plate and hooked it under his shoulder and took off leaping from rooftop to roof top, not once breaking his stride. He strode right past watchmen who didn’t even realize his Jericho was there even after the young boy had put a substantial distance between themselves.

            Finally Jericho caught the edge of a building and stalled there for a moments to catch his breath before letting himself drop right in front of his door. His home was nestled in a small alcove surrounded by other homes and a courtyard walled off headed by an archway. Stairs lined opposite sides of the wall leading up to the porches of the other homes. Jericho’s father thought it would be a safer environment for Jericho to grow up in.

            Old Lady Malia watered her plants from the top most terraces. She smiled and waved at Jericho softly. The young boy gave a half hearted smile back before walking up to his door and slipping in silently. Jericho’s home was centered by the dining room, a little shabby, but Mother always kept it in pristine condition. Off to the left were two doors, one to the kitchen, and one to the master bedroom. To the right were two more doors, one to his room, and the other to a family room. Further past the family room was Father’s study.

            “Mother I’m home!” Jericho called setting his basket down and walking towards the kitchen.

            “Welcome home honey,” she called back chopping at some greens and throwing them into a pan to simmer.