Chapter Thirty-Three

Kaitlyn rolled her eyes as she dropped to her knees beside her unconscious husband. "He keeps doing this today and it's your fault, pa."

Marston frowned as he held up his hands. "What the devil did I do?"

"You're big and you're scary and he's convinced that you're going to kill him for getting me with child."

"Well that's damn near the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life. I didn't kill the boy for doing what he did with you under my own damn roof so why would I kill him for doing it under his own?" Marston demanded.

Kaitlyn patted Pete's cheeks and his eyes fluttered open. "Dammit, did I do it again?" he demanded, leaping back to his feet and helping Kaitlyn to hers.

"Yes, you did," Kaitlyn replied sharply.

When Marston stood up, Pete swallowed hard. "So I'm gonna be a granddad huh?"

Pete could only manage to nod. Marston stared hard at him for several long moments and Kaitlyn could feel her bones nearly being crushed in the grip Pete had on her hand. Then Marston smiled and wrapped Pete in a bone crushing hug. He patted his back hard enough to loosen a lung. "That's damned great!"

The kitchen erupted with congratulations. Rose hugged her daughter. "This is wonderful."

"Two pregnant women in the family at once." Jeremiah shook his head. "There must be something in the water. Delilah, you better watch what you drink."

"Question," Duke stated. "Who helps the doctor have a baby?"

"I'm a midwife, or at least I was for a time," Carol admitted quietly. "I brought a few babies into this world before deciding it was too painful."

Her cheeks colored and she stared down at her hands. Duke wrapped an arm around her and kissed her temple. "I would give you a house full of youngins if I could. That'll always be my biggest regret." His voice was low and only for her. Carol nodded and leaned into him.

"Kaitlyn has a baby in her belly now too?" Lucy asked.

Rose nodded. "That's right, sweetie."

"Will everybody still have time for me?"

Marston grinned as he reached across the table and tousled her dark curls. "Of course we will, nugget. And you'll have the important job of helping teach the new babies right from wrong."

"And how to wrap your pa around their finger like you did," Jeremiah added.

Lucy smiled brightly. "That's easy! I can teach them that."

Rose smiled at the sight of her family together and joyous... all that was missing was Langley. She wished he was here and happy.

As if speaking of him made him appear, Langley stepped into the kitchen with a young woman at his side. The woman's buckskin pants and boots were trail worn. Her gray blouse and brown vest had also seen better days. She had wild hair streaked with gold and a gun on her hips. Her violet eyes were scanning the room as she rubbed at the cleft in her chin with one hand and gripped Langley's hand with the other.

Rose's eyes narrowed. "Who is that?"

"Everyone," Langley began, his chest swelling with pride. "This is Jessie."

The kitchen remained silent as Rose crossed her arms over her chest. "Really?" she hissed.

"Yes," Langley replied. He sent a warning gaze toward his mother. "And I want to let you all know that she's agreed to marry me."