Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Jessie didn't speak immediately as she went through the man's vest pockets. She didn't even glance up at Langley and he wondered if maybe he was going to have to ask her again but then she finally sighed.

"I ended up shot because he shot me."

"And why did he shoot you?"

Jessie shrugged, moving her hands to his trouser pockets. "Probably because I tried to kill his boss."

"And why did you try to kill his boss?"

"You sure do ask a lot of questions," Jessie snapped. She pulled a handful of folded papers from the dead man's pocket and shoved them down in her own as she stood.

"I think I deserve answers," Langley stated. "After all, I did just risk my neck to save yours."

Jessie's violet eyes flashed. "I don't need saving."

"Okay." Langley shrugged. "I'll remember that the next time a man comes sneaking inside with a gun while you're sleeping soundly."

"Good," Jessie grumbled. "Please do."

"Please?" Langley grinned. "Now who's being polite?"

Jessie smiled. "I've been with you too long."

Langley shook his head as he stepped toward her. "Come on now, Jessie. It's time to tell me the truth. Are you in trouble? Could you use some help?"

Jessie's first instinct was to scoff and insist that didn't need anybody for anything. But she forced herself to remain quiet and simply think instead of acting first the way she usually did.

A big part of her trusted Langley. That terrified her since any time she had ever put trust in someone they had let her down. Would Langley be like all the others or would he prove different? He certainly wasn't like anyone she had known before. Langley was kind, funny and gentle but there was obviously something stronger beneath that soft exterior because he had just killed the Frenchman—a trained killer.

Jessie decided that it couldn't hurt to have someone riding along to help her accomplish her goal. It might as well be someone she trusted. "No I don't need your help but you're welcome to ride along."

Langley damn near jumped for joy. Sure there was a good chance that whatever she wanted help with wouldn't be something completely law abiding. And, sure, there was an even bigger chance that it would be downright dangerous but Langley was willing to take that risk if she was willing to trust him.

He nodded. "Well let's get inside so you can tell me what it is I'm riding along with you on."

Two duo settled down at the kitchen table with a lantern between them. "There are some things you don't know about me," Jessie began. "I ain't all sugar and rainbows like I've led you to believe."

Langley couldn't stop the bark of laughter that burst from his mouth. Jessie glared at him. "Sugar and rainbows?" he gasped, trying desperately to stop laughing like an idiot. "I've never been cussed at, insulted or treated like a slave more than I have since I met you. And it's only been five days—and you were unconscious for some of them!"

Jessie's lips formed a hard line. "Well that was sugar and rainbows so just imagine how bad I can be."

Langley winked at her and the corner of her lips turned up in the tiniest of smiles. "Now quit changing the subject and tell me why that man was trying to kill you," Langley insisted.