Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

"Finally! I can cook eggs again without getting sick," Rose mused, carrying the tray of scrambled eggs to the table and placing them down with a flourish. Carol placed a tray of biscuits beside them.

"It's getting cold out there," Duke grumbled as he and Marston came stomping into the kitchen.

Marston wrapped his arms around Rose and pressed his cold nose into her neck causing her to squeal and swat him with the rag in her hand.

"Is it snowing yet?" Lucy asked from where she sat in her chair at the table, swinging her feet and petting Creed's head that rested in her lap.

Marston shook his head and ruffled her dark hair. "Not yet. But it will soon."

"It's ridiculous," Duke grumbled as he sat down. "This cold air up here is making my bones hurt something awful. It's only the last week of October. It shouldn't be this damn cold."

"You make yourself sound old when you talk that way," Carol scolded teasingly as she sat down beside him.

He took her hand in his and kissed her fingers. "I am old. Nothing I say will make me sound any older."

Marston pulled Rose aside and laid his hand over her rounding stomach. "How are you both doing today?"

She laid her hand over his stubble covered cheek. "We're doing good. I can finally cook without being sick. I believe me and the little one are coming to a mutual agreement on how best to share this body."

Marston chuckled as he kissed her hair. "Thank God for that. I'm sure everybody was getting tired of my cooking."

"Mine too," Carol added. "I'm afraid that particular talent passed me by."

"That's for sure," Duke agreed, tossing her a wink. "Good thing I spent the first sixty years of my life growing so tough. It might kill a lesser man."

"He's a charmer," Carol sighed wistfully. "And that's why I love him."

Laughter filled the spacious kitchen. Everyone took their seats and, after Rose said grace, they attacked the meal with gusto.

"Mama, when is Langley coming home?" Lucy asked.

Rose frowned. "I don't know," she replied, finding it hard to swallow the bite she'd been chewing.

Marston reached beneath the table and squeezed her hand. They hadn't heard anything else from Langley in well over a month since his last letter had come.

"What about Uncle Jeremiah?" Lucy added. "Why doesn't he come anymore?"

"He's busy doing grown up things," Carol quickly replied while Marston grumbled into his coffee cup. Lucy seemed satisfied with that answer and returned to slathering jam on her biscuit.

Marston stood quickly when the squeaking of cart wheels approaching reached his ears. He walked to the window and his eyes widened when he realized who it was.

"Who is it?" Rose demanded, rising from her seat.

"Langley," he replied, a smile lighting up his face. Then he frowned. "But he's not alone...."

Before he could say more, Rose was laughing hysterically and dashing from the house. "Langley!" she exclaimed, her eyes falling on her son for the first time in nine long months.

Langley smiled, leapt from the cart and met her halfway. The mama's boy in him had been craving a hug from her for months and months. Langley felt a good deal of his tension, sadness and worry simply melt away when Rose wrapped him in a rib-crushing, breath-stealing hug. The kind of hug only a mother could give.