Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

"One night just isn't going to be long enough to camp here," Jessie stated, taking in the sparkling pool of water and rock cliff faces around them as she lay stretched out on the long grass.

Langley nodded in agreement as he sat down his saddlebags and joined her. "This place is beautiful. And it's hidden with the cliffs on all sides... I say we just stay here a good solid week."

"A week!" Jessie exclaimed. She rolled onto her side and curled up against him, resting her head in one hand while laying her other hand on his broad chest. "And just what would we do here for an entire week?"

Langley flashed her a wicked grin and pulled her body on top of his as he guided her lips to his mouth. The kiss was hungry and possessive and Jessie was laughing breathlessly as she pulled away from him and leapt to her feet.

"First things first," she warned. "I have to find a place to relieve myself."

Langley chuckled as he folded his hands behind his head and stared up at her. She was illuminated by the setting sun and she seemed to glow. The golden streaks in her hair shone like fire and her violet eyes were sparkling.

"That's my woman. She's such a lady," Langley teased.

"Would you rather I simply relieve myself on you?" Jessie asked.

"No ma'am. By all means, go find a place to do your business."

Jessie rolled her eyes and waved her hand dismissively before running off. Langley got to his feet and walked to the water. It was crystal clear and he could see the sandy bottom. Langley stared into the water and smiled.

The last two weeks had been like a dream to him. He and Jessie had been roaming the land, making love and falling asleep in each other's arms every night. They laughed together, argued together and Langley enjoyed every single second of it.

But despite all that happiness, Langley also felt an undercurrent of dread about the future. Jessie quickly changed the subject whenever Langley voiced any interest in what was going to happen after they finished their business with Benjamin.

Langley wished the woman would simply stay a safe distance away and let him take care of Benjamin but he knew that would never happen. He'd been thinking long and hard about dealing with the man and he knew the best course of action. He just needed to convince Jessie it was the best thing to do.

Langley and Jessie needed to go to the Dakotas. Langley would tell his pa about Benjamin and once his pa realized what Jessie meant to him, then he and Uncle Duke would help take care of the man. Langley would feel better knowing that he and Jessie had them on their side.

Langley walked back up the small incline and began hunting for wood to start a fire. He moved a large stick and saw a flash of movement. When he realized that movement had been a snake, he let out a cry of fear.

Jessie came barreling back into sight with her gun drawn. She frowned when she found Langley standing, rooted in place and staring at the ground. "What the hell is the matter with you?" she demanded.

"There's a damn snake," he replied, his voice shaking nearly as badly as his legs.

Jessie frowned. "Okay, well you have a knife. Kill the thing."

"I can't."

"Please tell me you aren't afraid of snakes."

Langley's face flushed red and his ears seemed to glow. "I uh.. I'm not afraid of snakes." His eyes turned to her pleadingly. "Now please kill it for me..."