Chapter Twelve - Music in the Night

My comforter puffed up around me as I plopped myself down on my bed. The fluff engulfed me and my nose filled with my own scent. It felt good to be back in my natural habitat. My phantom masks hung all over my dresser and my Christmas lights lit the room. I hugged my big fluffy pillow, snuggling into the familiarity.

After a few minutes of reunion time with my glorious bed I got up to go take a shower. Grabbing my towel I walked into the bathroom. My now bare feet hit the cold tile floor. I curled my toes up while I worked on undressing. I turned the hot water up all the way and put on some cold with it. The steam bubbled over the top of the shower rod. I climbed in through the left side of the tub and stood in the water letting it run over my body. My hair turned dark and my muscles began to relax. I squeezed the shampoo into my palm and began to massage it through my hair.

Once satisfied with my cleanliness I turned off the water and dried off. Wrapping myself in my towel I walked back into my room. The floor changed to carpet and my footfalls became silent. Once dressed in Yoga pants and an over-sized t-shirt I went back into the  bathroom. Forgetting that the tile was still wet from the steam in the shower I slipped upon making contact with the ground. Soon my entire body had made contact with the ground.

"Graceful girl. Good job." I said to myself. I could hear the sarcasm which dripped from my own voice. "Gosh I need friends." I decided. "Oh shut up you!" realizing I was saying all of this out loud I began to laugh rolling around in the threshold of my bathroom door.

"Oh goodness..." I sighed placing my hands on my stomach. "I must look and sound like a lunatic." I sat up and leaned against the door frame attempting to catch my breath before standing up again. Being far more careful this time, I crossed the bathroom to the sink. I picked up my automatic toothbrush and began my evening routine. After skating back out of the bathroom I crawled into my bed. The fluffy comforter engulfing me again. Drowsiness overcame me. Unplugging the lights from over the edge of my bed I rolled over to face the balcony of my room. The city lights glowed through my sheer curtains. The moon occasionally peeking through making its presence known.

\\\

My brain became conscious  due to an odd noise. I was too tired to open my eyes so instead I lie there and tried to go back to sleep. A shift on the bed caused me to stir slightly. I couldn't figure out why it would move. My back suddenly became warmer helping me to notice the chilly draft which I'd previously been oblivious to. I tried to open my eyes but couldn't work up to it. I instead gave into the heaviness of them and tried to go to bed again. However, a heavy sigh interrupted my sleep. A sigh?... I'm not breathing heavy. How did I sigh?...... My drowsy thoughts were interrupted yet again, this time by soft sniffles. I'm not crying either... Why am I even awake right now?...... I want to be asleep...

"Oh Christine..." I heard a soft whisper. The voice cracked slightly and I realized, finally, that I was not alone. The emotion in the simple words was heartbreaking even in my sleep drunk state.

"Hhmm...?" I tried to respond but couldn't get any words out. I decided to not try to wake up and just soak up the warmth of the person. I snuggled into it and smiled slightly. I was so tired, I wasn't entirely sure if this was a person. What are people anyway? Pillows are better. I thought losing my battle to the sleep. I felt a gentle weight on my head. It slid down across my hair and returned to the top of my head. That feels good... I thought. I scooted closer to the warmth as a chill swept over my face.

"You are so innocent... You do not even know the monster you seek." a shaky sigh interrupted his sentence. "Christine I love you..." he sang softly. His voice filled my exhausted being with peace. I softly smiled again before the beautiful sounds of his song rested in my mind and rocked me to sleep. The last thing I remember before succumbing to the darkness was cold gently pressed against my forehead and after, the continuation of the melody.