forget generation X more like generation Sex. (4)

Drake's POV: (cont.)

I've have came here every day since I was able to move without a ripping pain through my back. I wish....I want to take it all back. If she doesn't wake up it'll be my fault, even if she does wake up it is still my fault. Her brother keeps on telling me that we would have never known that there was going to be a fire. Eric knows that I took Evie's virginity; surprisingly he hasn't killed me yet. Plus, he knows about everything I said to her to make her mad. I've apologized like a million times; he says there is no need. I still feel like he's secretly blaming me.

He tells me that it was my way of protecting her from me. I try to convince myself that that is the real reason. But I know that it's because I'm an asshole. I said those things because she deserves someone better than me. Cliché, I know right. It is true if I would have stayed away from her she would never be in here. I had to be an asshole to her because I was trying to stay away from her. It would be easier if she hated me, easier for me to make her see that she deserves way better than me. That she doesn't need to be caught up with me and my life.

Evie's POV:

"Drake cares because he loves you." My mom tries to comfort me.

"If he loves me then why did he say those things to me?"

"Because he is a boy and that's what boys' do; they screw things up when things are good. It's in their nature."

"Mom, that's not good enough. I don't care if it's in their nature or even if it's in their DNA. He shouldn't have treated me like that." I start to cry.

"Honey, I know. Boys' are just stupid."

"Drake especially." I chuckle. "But he told me he loved me."

"Baby, I know. I know it is hard." She puts her arm around my shoulders, pulling me into a hug. "Just wake up and let him explain. You want to see Eric again, don't you? And your father?"

"Yes, I do."

"Think about Lauren and your future. You want to graduate high school, go to college, fall in love, get married, and have kids. You want to see who Eric is going to marry and be Lauren's maid of honor. You want to pick up your kids up from soccer practice, go to their school plays, hang pictures up on the fridge that they made for you, read them bedtime stories, and take them to parks. Evie you have so much to look forward to. Things might be bad now but it can only get better from now."

"Thanks mom. I love you so much."

"As I love you."

"Why did you have to leave us?"

"It was just my time."

"Not enough time."

"There never is enough. Now, I want you to be patient with your father. I know he hasn't been around much. I want you to be good for your brother; he worries so much. And don't forget about what you want in the future and don't be afraid to go and get it."

"I promise. I wish I could talk to you like this always."

"I will be there for you at all times. I've never left. You can talk to me at any time; I will be there listening."She starts to disappear before my eyes. "Mom, no. don't leave me."

"I love you, honey."

"I love you, too." She's gone. That brings another round of tears. I drop to my knees. I faintly hear, "I need you so much. I love you." I lift my head. "Come on you need to wake up. I love you. I know I messed up. I'm such an idiot. Come on, baby, please don't leave me." I can feel his hand in mine; my surrounding starts to fade away. Then I open my eyes.

Drake's POV:

"Why hasn't she woken up yet?"

"Because she isn't ready when she's ready she will." Eric pats my shoulder. We're sitting side by side next to her bed. I'm holding her hand. "She is going to hate me."

"I bet so. But she will forgive you though."

"I'm sorry, Eric, for everything."

"I know, Drake. I've already forgiven you. Now you need to forgive yourself."

"How can I with her in here?"

"You just have to look at it this way. I don't hate you. We would have never known that there was going to be a fire. We would have never known that she would get hurt or you. Most of all, she is alive because of you."

"And you. You didn't need me"

"Yeah, but we don't know that. What if I picked her up and got hit with the ceiling board? Then we both probably wouldn't be here."

"If you think of it like that."

"You just have to stay positive."

"Yet, by being positive; we haven't gotten much sleep or food and I bet are grades aren't doing so well right now and we've spent every day here."

"Yep, but we're staying positive about everything." We sit in silence for a few moments. "I'm going to see if there is any good food in the cafeteria. You want anything?" Eric stands from his chair, kisses her forehead. He does that every time he's about leave the room.

"Nope, I'm good." He leaves. I lay my head down on her hospital bed and start to cry while saying, "I need you so much. I love you. Come on you need to wake up. I love you. I know I messed up. I'm such an idiot." I look at her sleeping face and kiss her hand, "Come on, baby, please don't leave me." I wipe my tears. I feel her hand squeeze mine. In shock I drop her hand and go to the door. I open the door and yell, "Eric!" He turns around from the other end of the hallway and began running back. I go back into the room, sit back down and hold her hand, again.

Then Eric enters when her eyes flutter open.