Wasn't Enough

Alright guys, so I know I've been MIA for a bit. And the first thing I do instead of updating my current stories is start a whole new book xD But can you blame me? It's Zack Fair after all! So all I have to say about this little one shot is: please don't hate me. There will definitely be more to come in this book, I promise! They won't all be angsty, I swear. Let me know what you think!!

"So..." Zack sing songed, in his usual high spirits.

A grin on his face, eyes full of mirth as he looked at you and Cloud. He looked between the two of you, raising an eyebrow to egg you on. He could feel himself getting antsy as he waited for one of you to speak.

"Come on guys," he pressed, "I'm getting all antsy from the anticipation! What do you have to tell me that's so important we can't talk about it while stuffing our faces with food?"

His cheerful mood and excitement all but crushed whatever confidence you'd had and the guilt ate away at you. Not that feeling guilty was going to change what you'd done. What both of you had done. You looked over at Cloud, his eyes a mirror to exactly what you were feeling. Your heart dropped as you opened your mouth to speak.

"Alright guys, why so serious?" Zack had seen something in that glance between the two of you. Something a part of him recognized but refused to see for what it truly was.

"Zack," you swallowed the lump forming in your throat, "I-I don't think we should go to dinner at all today."

"Are you not feeling well?" Within seconds he stood before you, brow furrowed, and hands on your waist pulling you closer. You couldn't look him in the eyes and just focused on the wall behind him, eyes flickering towards his face.

Any resolve you had left was disappearing quickly. He didn't deserve this, at all. He was always so good to you, more than good, perfect even. Every couple had their ups and downs, but Zack was always there for you. Anytime you needed him he didn't hesitate, without a single thought he came to you.

"I-I'm okay," your throat was starting to dry as you tried to continue speaking.

"Here, let's just sit down on the couch," Zack said as he walked you towards it. The both of you sat down and Zack remained close to you, your legs touching and a hand on your thigh. It was little things like this that made your heart race when the both of you first got together. Some might have thought Zack was too clingy but that was one of your favorite parts about him.

"Here," Cloud handed you a glass of water.

"Thanks," you replied, as he stood there waiting for you to finish.

"You can sit down, Cloud," Zack said as he motioned to the single arm chair positioned facing perpendicular to the couch.

Zack didn't want to jump to any conclusions but that small voice in his head was getting more prominent as the minutes ticked by. He'd noticed the way your hand lingered on Cloud's as you grabbed the glass from him, even just a split second longer. He'd noticed the way Cloud's gaze had softened as he'd stood in front of you. But his mind had to have been seeing things that weren't actually there, this was you and Cloud after all.

"Maybe we could just have a night in?" Zack asked you, rubbing your shoulder after he put his arm around you, "Watch some movies, eat some popcorn, order some pizza?" You could already hear the excitement in his voice.

You swallowed, the lump in your throat seeming to only grow larger as you kept waiting. The change in your mood didn't go unnoticed by Zack.