Late Night Conversation

Hello there everyone! Here's my first post of 2018 :) I've been sitting on this one for a while, had some trouble finishing it off. It's nothing special, just an idea that I got but I hope it's still enjoyable to read!

In the beginning it had been difficult getting used to the beds provided by Shinra but as the weeks went on Zack had grown accustomed to them. Maybe it was the fact that he was always so exhausted by the time he finally got to lay down that the quality of the mattress no longer mattered to him.

He slowly rolled onto his back from his position on his side, trying to avoid making too much noise. But the unexpected creak of the bed frame abruptly stopped his movements and he cursed under his breath. Pausing he listened to Kunsel's quiet snores which continued undisturbed from his bunk above him. Zack let out a sigh of relief as he stretched out his arms and legs.

Slowly he interlocked his fingers, placing his hands behind his head. Any other day he would've been out the moment his head touched his pillow, but tonight sleep just wasn't coming. Closing his eyes he tried to focus on Kunsel's soft snores, it was unusual but they usually helped lull him to sleep. After what felt like much too long he opened his eyes, letting out a frustrated sigh. Tonight just wasn't going as planned.

He knew why, of course. Most days as a 2nd class SOLDIER were extremely busy that he didn't have the chance to think about much of anything else besides training, missions, paperwork, and eventually reaching 1st class. But any free chance he got, you were always on his mind. Things had been easy when you lived in Midgar but now that you'd gone back to Gongaga it was a bit harder. You both talked every chance you could but sometimes it was hard to coordinate your schedules. He just really missed you. Homesickness was something he'd gotten through pretty easily when he first left home, but now that any thought of you brought back memories of Gongaga, he couldn't help but feel it.

A small smile graced his lips as he reached out to grab his phone from where it was charging next to his bed. The screen illuminated to reveal a picture of the two of you, the two of you had been slow dancing at your cousin's wedding and the photographer caught the perfect moment. Zack unlocked his phone, going to the photos app. He scrolled down to the album titled THE LOVE OF MY LIFE to be greeted by pictures of you and pictures of the both of you.

He scrolled through the pictures and feelings of warmth and happiness seemed to spread through him. As he went on his smile continued to widen and his eye lids started to grow heavy. Before he knew it he'd fallen into a content slumber, his lips still curled into a smile with you still on his mind.

**

The cool water soothed your dry mouth and chapped lips as you chugged it out of the glass. Wiping your mouth with the back of your hand, you set the glass back in your sink deciding to wash it in the morning.

It was late and you should've already been in bed by now but the cold weather and your thirst had made it difficult to sleep. You'd pulled on as many layers as you could, making sure to cover your head and slowly made your way to the kitchen.

You loved Gongaga, it was where you grew up and you didn't care how backwater it was. The only thing you truly liked about living in Midgar was being able to spend time with Zack. Everything else about that place was just dismal and gloomy. Your grandma had needed you to come back to help with her pharmacy, her health was starting to slow her down. You'd been extremely happy to return but even more sad to be so far from Zack again. Nights like these only served as harsh reminders that he wasn't here. Otherwise you'd already be asleep, curled up against him in his arms.

Your apartment always seemed so much more empty during the night that it did in the day. It wasn't anything lavish, just a one bedroom one bathroom with a small kitchen and living room area. Your grandma had insisted you just live with her but you wanted to make sure to maintain your independence as much as you could. You spent most of your time working with her and really only came to sleep here. But it was a nice and cozy little place that you loved living in. On the occasions that Zack was able to visit it felt even more like home than it usually did.