Chapter 19: Hot and Cold

Once the anthem has finished we leave the stage and get into the training centre's lobby.

I'm sad to see Katniss go out of her way just to get in a different elevator to me.

This is not good.

I've heard about Katniss and her mother. She is the queen of holding grudges, and tomorrow we are going into the arena with twenty two others seeking our blood and pathetic pleas for mercy.

This should be interesting.

I end up in the elevator with Cato, Clove, Glimmer, Marvel and the female tribute from district four. How I ended up here, I don't know.

Suddenly, Cato punches the stop button and whistles at me, "Hey lover-boy, you've seen District four male right?" He asks. I nod, not understanding why I'm asked that question.

"Well I knew him back in the District and... let's just say he isn't skilled enough to be in our alliance." Talia, the District four tribute tells me.

"So..." I say trailing off.

"We want you in our alliance lover-boy." Cato growls with frustration.

"And why would I do that?" I ask with a disgusted looked plastered on my face.

"Well," Clove begins, "We won't kill you straight away, we promise not to kill Katniss and your more likely to taste the blood of our fellow tributes." She says with a scary grin.

I mull it over, would they keep to their word? Would both Katniss and I be spared from their dark clutches? Probably not, but it is the best I've got.

"Alright." Their eyes brighten up at this, "But you have to promise me you won't kill Katniss."

"We promise." Marvel says, speaking for the first time. If only I saw the glances they shared after that 'promise' was made.

I've only just stepped out of the elevator before someone pushes me, making me lose my balance and fall on top of a urn in the corner. May the wrath of Katniss begin.

The urn immediately shatters into a hundred pieces and I realize blood is flowing freely from my hands. My vision becomes blurry as I locate Katniss towering over me.

"What was that for!" I half ask, half shout.

"You had no right! No right to say those things about me!" She shouts back. What things? I said I had a major crush on her. Not her with me.

I see scary black dots beginning to line my vision as the elevator doors open, revealing a shocked Effie, Haymitch, Cinna and Portia.

"What is going on!" Shrieks Effie, obviously in hysteria, "Did you fall?" She asks me.

"Yeah, after she shoved me." I say, looking pointedly at Katniss. She just death glares back at me.

"You shoved him?" Haymitch asks her.

"This was your idea, wasn't it? Turning me into some kind of fool in front of the whole country!" She shouts at Haymitch.

"It was my idea." I say while wincing from the piece of pottery shard leaving my skin.

"Haymitch just helped me with it."

"Yes Haymitch is very helpful, to you!" She says to me.

"You are a fool." Haymitch tells her with disgust, "Do you really think he hurt you? The boy just gave you something you never could have achieved on your own."

"He made me look weak!" She exclaims, I wince at her words.

"He made you look desirable. And let's face it, you can use all the help you can get in that department. You were as romantic as dirt until he said he wanted you. Now they all do. You're all they are talking about. The star-crossed lovers of district twelve!" He tells her with a pointed finger.