18: Angels in Disguise

*-*-*-*

I stretched my sore limbs, the voice that I let out matching a retarded whale's. Well, if there ever was one. I just finished my first class, and took a short break before heading over towards library. Because Free Period.

History was, in summary, nothing. Mrs Brighton just went through what was important, before test days and off we are to our Autumn Vacation. I probably haven't told you this but yeah, our school has holidays for every seasons. To let us 'take a breath of fresh air outside school'. Some were elated and impatient for the promising Autumn, because they can probably go back home.

Home.

The little part inside me longed to go back home too, where I could just see..

"Kaecchi?" Kise's voice snapped me out of my deep thoughts, and I glanced up at him. "Are you going?" He asked, motioning towards the exit.

It was then when I saw people all rushing out, to their next classes or whatnots.

"Oh!" I exclaimed, slapping my forehead. I was too busy daydreaming to even see what was going on. Trust me, if you ever find trouble dreaming or if you ever want your imaginations to go wild, you can call Kaede for the job. Anyways.

"Are you okay? You're awfully quiet." Kise asked as soon as we were outside.

"I'm totally fine." I smiled as convincingly as I could, but even Kise knew that it didn't reach my eyes.

"... It's about that, isn't it?" Kise pressed. I immediately went stiff, exhaling anything that was unnecessary. "Sorry." He apologized immediately.

"Don't," I started. "Well, I'm.... I'm..."

"I'm...?"

"I'm finally going back home."

"What?" Kise pressed, a shock look masking his features.

"Yeah." I kicked the dirt with the heel of my sneakers.

"Are your grandparents okay seeing you...?"

"Oh whatever. I don't think they cared about me. They just want their lineage to continue their footsteps."

"Oh... Do you want me to follow you?"

"Are you free?"

"Well, depends." He scratched the back of his head. "I have the modelling, but I can make time.."

I shrug. "C'mon, let's go. You have your chemistry, I have my library."

*-*-*-*

Here I was, out of all places, in the library during my Lunch Break. Library, again.

Kise had to take off because of some of his friends, so I was left to fend for myself.

I mean, I am his best friend, but I can't tie him down like a dog on a leash, can I? He needs his freedom.

"Kaede-san?" The small, smooth voice emerged from my left, making me turn.

And I was staring into those adorable baby blues encaged in cute round eyes, belonging to a shadow that was a good five centimeters taller than me.

But he was a bit too close, and he took me by surprise.

"Eep!" I squeaked from the close proximity. People around me snapped their heads, hushing me as soon as possible. I heaved a sigh towards my nose, not wanting to cause further trouble.

"K-Kuroko-kun! Were you here all along?"

"Yes, I was, Kaede-san."

I pursed my lips into a thin line, slightly disappointed that I wasn't used to his presence yet. It wasn't fair. How would I have felt if someone didn't know I was there, yet I was there the whole time?