Chapter 13: Halloween

The next few weeks passed fairly quickly. Dark circles had formed under my eyes from the late nights I have been spending doing Malfoy's homework. Every night I waited in the common room until everyone had gone to bed, and then I had to wait for Malfoy to meet me there. Sometimes I didn't go to bed until about three in the morning. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be though. Since Malfoy was away from all of his friends, he had no need to call me a Mudblood every two minutes. He wasn't friendly, I don't think it's possible for that kid to be friendly, but he wasn't terrible either. 

Before I knew it, Halloween was here, which not only marked the Halloween feast, but also the last night that I would have to do Malfoy's homework. I met with Hermione at breakfast, and we agreed to  meet each other outside of the Great Hall before the feast tonight. Classes seemed to pass at a faster pace than normal and before I knew it, it was time to head to the feast. I waited for Hermione outside of the Great Hall, but she never turned up. Everyone was now at the tables waiting to be fed and I was the only one outside of the Great Hall. 

Thinking that Hermione may have forgotten about meeting me, I headed inside and scanned the Gryffindor table for her. She was nowhere to be found so I decided to sit with the Weasley twins. It was only when I sat down that I noticed the decorations. Hundreds of live bats fluttered around the room, and hundreds more hung from the ceiling. Jack-o-laterns if all shapes and sizes were suspended in the air all around the room. 

"Brilliant, isn't it?" George said. 

"Yeah! Hey have either of you seen Hermione?" I asked. 

"As a matter of fact, we haven't. She wasn't even in the common room after classes. Did you check the library?" George said. 

"No, I didn't look there. I just find it odd that she's not here, we agreed to meet up and sit together." 

"Maybe she fell asleep in her dorm? She stays up quite late studying in the common room. George and I have seen her in there sometimes as late as one in the morning." Fred said.

"Maybe that's it."

Just then the food appeared and just as I was about to dish up, the doors flung open and in ran Professor Quirrell. His turban was askew and his face wore an expression of utter terror. He ran all the way up to the teachers table and shouted, "Troll -in the dungeons- thought you ought to know!"

He then crumpled to the floor, completely passed out. There was a heavy silence in the Great Hall and then all chaos broke loose. Students started yelling and screaming, aside from the twins who were laughing at Quirrell who had fainted. I didn't know what to do. I knew nothing of trolls and I didn't see how they could pose such a big threat in a school that teaches magic.

I heard a loud crack and I turned to see Dumbledore standing up, purple firecrackers shooting out of his raised wand. Silence replaced the uproar and everyone turned towards Dumbledore.

"Prefects," he rumbled, "lead your Houses back to the dormitories immediately."

The Slytherins were the first out of the Great Hall, they had pushed their way through everybody else. I got stuck in the crowd of Gryffindors.

I looked up at the twins, who were about a foot and a half taller than me and asked them, "Can you guys see where my house is going? I doubt they are going to our dormitory because it is in the dungeons."

"It looks like they are following the Hufflepuffs." Fred said.

"Thanks guys, I guess I'll see you later."

"Later, Mira!" They both said.

I shoved my way through the crowd, determined to reach the students in my house.