Chapter 5: Secrets

Chapter 5: Secrets

The hat was pulled off of my head and I hopped off of the stool and made my way over to the Slytherin table. I sat where all of the first years were sitting, and unfortunately I ended up sitting right next to none other than Draco Malfoy. Draco was talking to Crabbe and Goyle, who were also sorted into Slytherin.

I heard his voice say, "I can't believe that a Mudblood like her was sorted into Slytherin! This is rubbish! Slytherin is for the pure-blooded wizards, not for filth with dirty blood!"

He looked over at me when he said this, to make sure that I knew he was talking about me. I just sat there and pretended like I hadn't heard him. I didn't know what a Mudblood was, but coming from Malfoy, it had to be something rude. There were a lot of thoughts swirling around in my mind. Why would the hat put me where I don't belong? I came to Hogwarts thinking I would finally find my place in this world, and in one split second, my hopes were crushed. Now I am stuck in a House with jerks like Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle, who hated me because I was not born to magical folk.

My thoughts were interrupted when the Great Hall got dead silent after Professor McGonagall called out, "Potter, Harry!"

I looked up to see the kid that I heard talking to the redhead before the sorting. He looked super nervous as the hat was place on his head.

The silence was short lived, because suddenly the room was buzzing with whispered voices saying things like, "Did she just say Harry Potter? The Harry Potter? Did you see his scar? I wonder if he remembers You-Know-Who!"

The hat took longer to place Harry than it did to place me but suddenly it shouted, "GRYFFINDOR!"

The far table erupted with cheers as he sat down looking relieved.

"Of course Potter would be placed in Gryffindor." Malfoy said from beside me, as if being in Gryffindor was the worst thing imaginable.

I just rolled my eyes at Malfoy's comment, this kid seriously needs to lighten up. Once the sorting was over, a tall old man with a long white beard and hair stood up and addressed the students.

"Welcome!" He said. "Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you!"

Then he sat back down, and everyone cheered and clapped. I looked around, wondering what the heck that was about.

"Crazy old bat!" Malfoy said, and I sort of agreed with him because that was the oddest speech I have ever heard. Crabbe and Goyle laughed at his comment.

"My father, he's a Hogwarts Governor you know, wants Professor Dumbledore to be fired from his position as Headmaster. He's been trying for years to convince the other Governor's's that Dumbledore's off his rocker but they won't hear a word of it, those stupid prats. My father is the only Governor who knows what's best for the school." Malfoy continued.

Suddenly the dishes in front of me were piled with delicious looking food. I reached for the serving spoon in the mashed potatoes but Malfoy quickly seized it before I could grab it. I was starting to like this kid less and less. I just rolled my eyes and loaded my plate with grilled chicken instead.

A ghost swooped in front of us, mumbling, "Welcome to Slytherin. I am the Bloody Baron, the Slytherin house ghost."

The Bloody Baron, was a very eerie looking ghost, he had blank eyes, a gaunt face, and robes stained with silver blood. For the rest of dinner, the Bloody Baron stayed right in front of Malfoy, who looked less than pleased with his company. After the main course, the food disappeared and was replaced with every kind of desert I could think of. I refrained myself from having any because I was already stuffed from dinner.