7 - Release

Lucy had spent the previous night with Derek, and since the night they had kissed, she had really bonded with him. Sometimes she thought about Michael, but Derek's muscular abs always brought her back to him. They were in different grades, not to mention different wings, so they had arranged to go and 'practice' in one of the private drama rooms at recess. Before recess she had drama in the F wing and the private rooms were in the M wing, so as soon as the bell rang, she raced through the U wing to the far side of the M wing, where the rooms were located. Once she had got the key from the drama studio she made her way to room M14b. Derek stood waiting, his plain white tee fitted perfectly, accentuating the contours of his flawless six pack. She swooned slightly when she saw him, and when he approached her, she ventured forward too, but ducked under his legs and unlocked the door, shutting it on him. She leant against the door to stop him from getting in, but she underestimated his strength, as he barged in and gathered her up. He instantly kissed her, making her melt in his arms. After a few minutes she pushed him against the door and poked his chest jovially.

"Hey! You could at least say hello before you stick your tongue down my throat, mister." 

"Hey you." He grinned and tried to kiss her again, his hands wandering. She tried to push him away again, but his grip was too tight. She stared up into his eyes, the brown edges penetrated with gold and silver, drawing her in. She felt her body give itself up to him, and felt herself melt back into his embrace.

That was only the beginning of their little 'practice' sessions. All through lunch they were in the studio, 'practicing'. Sometimes she felt reluctant to do the things she did, but she couldn't stop herself, as if some strange force was making her do it. She felt this force many times, and whenever Derek wasn't around, she wanted him more. The only time she really felt like she was her own person was at midnight, and even then she felt slightly drawn to him. It wasn't that she wanted to love him. On the contrary, she found him quite intimidating, not to mention assertive and egotistic. It was that pesky force or 'greater being' that was keeping her with him. 

She tried to think about what could be the mediator of the situation. In old timey magic, for a force like this to work, you would need the source, the recipient, and the mediator. The source was the person or being giving out the force, the recipient was the person, being or object the force was acting on, and the mediator was an object, mainly jewellery, that the source, or the person overseeing the operation, would plant on the recipient, which was extremely crucial to the operation. 

Thinking back to the first day back after christmas vacation, Lucy remembered that she had found a gift in her locker. A silver, aquamarine and lodestone tear shaped pendant on a long silver chain. She had assumed it was a welcome back gift from Mr Kendor, the religious studies teacher, since he knew that her lucky stone was aquamarine, and that silver made her eyes shine the deepest sapphire you ever saw. The lodestone was new, though. She knew there was another name for it, she just couldn't remember, as if some force - great, here we go again - was keeping her memory from her. She also couldn't remember what its properties or powers were. Also, she had worn it since she'd found it, which was the exact day that the force had appeared. 

Feeling slightly scared, she tried to take it off, but the chain wouldn't budge. She tried for hours on end that night, tugging and pulling, but to no avail. The stones were there to stay - for now. She would have to take a trip to the school metalwork teacher to see if he could get it off. 

She fell asleep with great difficulty, and when she did, she didn't have her recurring dream, she dreamt of a beauty pageant she had entered as a child. The one difference was that the events were odd and mixed up. She, Summer and Taylor had entered, and had got to the talent portion as the final three. They all sang and danced. Up to here was correct. Then came the slip up. Summer lost her voice halfway through her song, and Lucy had slipped over on damp floor just before her performance and sprained her ankle. Taylor, however, had performed perfectly and won, which was completely wrong, as Lucy had really won, but had shared the trophy with Summer as she believed that she deserved it too.