2 - Smitten

- [ ZACK ] -

Zack and Summer practiced every day for the rest of that week, so come monday, the day the teachers would choose the lead dancers for the show, they were the best in the class. As the teachers watched everyone,  Zack noticed they watched him and Summer more than the others. They chose the three best pairs to do a harder routine, then cut it down to two. The others had to leave for their lessons but Zack, Summer, Tammy and James had to stay behind to learn a new routine for the day after. They spent the rest of the day rehearsing at school and come 2:30 they went straight back to Summer's house to practice. They practiced all evening and eventually Zack was so tired he felt like crashing on her sofa for the night, but instead he ran back across the road to his house and slept throughout the whole night for the first time since being in New England.

He woke at dawn. His dreams had been haunted by an unfamiliar robed figure with long blonde hair and a scar on her wrist. She had been taunting him, torturing him with images of his Father being crushed, his Mother and Lucy being drowned, and an unlikely face - Summer - being smashed into a brick wall over and over. Toward the end a familiar face had appeared - Kelly - only with huge fangs where her canine teeth should be, who laughed with the robed figure as they tortured him. The dream haunted him throughout the day, but by the time he and Summer had to perform - a routine they had been taught but told to adapt and develop - the last wisps of it were fading away. He and Summer arrived early to warm up and rehearse their routine. As the others started to arrive they had already gone through their routine twice and were ready to go. The teachers led a warm up and then sent the 6 others to sit down while Zack, Summer, Tammy and James got ready to audition. James and Tammy went first. Theirs was a spanish themed hip-hop song with some more modern moves added in with the traditional ones. Just before they had finished Summer grabbed Zack and took him outside. 

"Listen, if we win, it wont make us awkward right? Because it means a whole lot of dancing and practicing together for weeks and most of the routines involve very close contact, so are you sure you want to do this?" She genuinely looked concerned. Zack thought it would be the right time to tell her about his almost feelings for her, but thought she might back out, and decided otherwise.

"I'm completely fine with this. Don't make a fuss out of something not worth fussing over." He said a little aggressively. Again, he'd tripped over himself like he'd done many times that week. Summer looked slightly hurt over what he had said, but her usual bubbly self took over again once they were in the studio. They walked back in to see the finishing position of Tammy and James' routine. Zack clapped them, then composed himself like he'd done before every run through of their routine, and checked his costume was in order - his red puffy shirt and tight fitting black leggings - then stepped out into the middle of the room. He cued the music. Summer ran in and their routine started. It was a complex mix of a salsa and a waltz with some other traditional dances thrown in here and there. It ended with a lift then dip and nobody clapped. Everyone just stared at the pair of them with mouths gaping and eyes wide.The first to react was the female teacher who clapped once and stood up.

"Right. Time to vote. Hands up for Zack and Summer." The whole group, even the male teacher, put their hands up. "Well thats that. We have 10 minutes left, you can all get changed early, but Zack and Summer need to stay behind for the rest of the day to learn the new routine, and teach us theirs." Zack was overjoyed at playing such a big role in the dance class, since he had stopped dancing after a tragic accident had left him unable to dance for months, and his father had died shortly after he'd applied to return so he had missed out on his role in the big showcase, so now he was happy to have dancing back in his life. First they had taught the teachers their routine, which took about an hour, then they spent the last half an hour learning part of a new routine for the show. They went back to Summer's to practice for an hour, then when Zack finally got home, he went straight up to his room and sat in silence, thinking. He sat like that for half an hour before his phone buzzed and the screen lit up. He looked and saw 'Babe' flashing across it. Opening his phone he looked at her text.