Bubblegum Lip Balm [Mingyu - Fluff]

You and Mingyu had been close friends for a few years now. You'd helped him with his training and had witnessed his increase in popularity since Seventeen's debut. You were there for him whenever he needed you, for whatever he needed you for.

Lately, however, things seemed a little different. There had been a shift in your relationship with him but you couldn't quite put your finger on how or why.
For some reason he acted differently towards you.
Sometimes he would be his usual dorky, smiley self; yet other times he'd seem shy and reserved with you - which was something you were definitely unfamiliar with.

Today started with the latter of the two.
You'd spent the day at the dorm watching the boys practice and now you and Mingyu were winding down by watching movies in his room.
However, he was being extremely quiet and seemed to be somewhat avoiding you. Usually you would both just flop on his bed, comfortably in an entanglement of limbs as you both focused on the TV, but today he seemed to be sitting as far away from you as possible. You had been sitting on the bottom of his bed when he came into the room. But, instead of playfully tackling you for a quick play fight before eventually both collapsing together on the sheets completely exhausted, he just walked to the very top of his bed and sat down on his pillows, squishing himself up against his bedroom wall. He was the furthest away from you that he could possibly be whilst still sitting on the same bed.
Not only that, but he wasn't paying any attention to the movie at all. Instead he kept either staring at the floor or looking at you out of the corner of his eye.

You tried your hardest to concentrate on the characters that moved across the screen but you just couldn't shake the feeling of Mingyu's gaze upon you.
Feeling a little awkward, you clear your throat and stand up.
Mingyu flinches slightly at your sudden actions and straightens up.

"Just grabbing my lip balm." You explain, as you reach your bag, situated on the floor. As you rummage around inside your purse, Mingyu shifts to the edge of the bed to watch you. You find the light pink tube and skip back over to the bed. This time you sit more in the centre, closer to Mingyu. He shifts a little, seeming uncomfortable in your change in location, but his interest in what you are doing distracts him.

You pretend not to notice how intently Mingyu watches you gently rub the smooth balm over your plump lips. And you definitely try to ignore the fact that he has captured his own bottom lip between his teeth.
You quickly rub your lips together and the flavour hits your tongue.
"Mmm." You hum, in content. "This is my favourite lip balm ever. It tastes like bubblegum! Have you ever tried it?"
"No." He replies, quietly. "Can I?"
He asks so sweetly that you simply nod, lost for words. You hold out the tube toward him but he doesn't acknowledge it.
Instead, he's already moved across the bed toward you, his fingers carefully resting on your cheek.

Your hand holding the balm hits his chest but neither of you notice as his lips collide with your own. At first he seems rough, like he has confidence in what he's doing, but that soon fades. The reality of the move he just made sinks in and he falters, pulling away.
You're awestruck.
You had no idea Mingyu felt this way about you!
For the first time ever, as your own eyes meet his worried brown eyes, you, yourself, realise that you're in love with your best friend.
You break into a smile at this realisation and Mingyu sighs in relief.

"I'm sorry, I just-" he starts, but you interrupt him.
"It tastes good, doesn't it?" You smile brightly.
He gives you a confused look.
"The lip balm." You clarify and he chuckles.
"In all honesty, I was too worried about your reaction that I forgot all about it. It just happened to be a good excuse to finally kiss you."
You smile at each other, him flashing his perfect teeth.
"You're going to have to taste it properly this time then." You smirk.
You see a flash of confusion across his face before you connect your lips to his once again.
This kiss lasts longer with no worry of rejection. Your hands find his shoulders as Mingyu brings his own hand up to rest on your cheek once again.

When you break apart he licks his lips.
"It really does taste like bubblegum!" He smiles happily.
You notice a faint pink glitter tinge to his lips and you giggle at him.
He returns your laughter with his killer smile and you lean your head against his shoulder. After a brief moment of silence, you speak up, pulling away to look at him.
"Hold on! Is this why you've been acting so strange around me lately?" You ask.
A blush appears across his cheeks as he avoids your gaze.
"It's not every day you fall in love with your best friend; I didn't know what to do." He replies, sheepishly, as he brings a hand up to rub the back of his neck.

You freeze at hearing the 'L' word. So he feels that strongly about you? That's pretty serious.
You lock eyes with his and suddenly any worry you had melts away.
"It's a good job that I'm in love with you too, then." You reply, bumping your shoulder against his.

---

A/N - This one shot was inspired by my favourite lip balm! It's called Baby Lips by Maybelline in the shade "Pomme D'Amour". Just in case you guys want to taste what Mingyu tasted!😉