Chapter 1

C e l i a ' s      P o i n t     o f     V i e w

"Wake up sleepy heads, breakfast is ready!"

I stir in my sleep at the mention of breakfast. Half awake, I internally debate on if I'd rather continue to sleep or eat. It's a very real and difficult decision.

If I choose to stay in bed, I get the perks of more sleep and remaining comfortable in my boyfriend's cozy arms. If I choose to cave in to the sweet voice of my best friend however, then I get to eat a meal I was already beginning to smell from the kitchen downstairs.

Decisions, decisions.

"Did you say breakfast?" My boyfriend Luke asks in a groggy yet excited tone as he quickly shifts in bed. There's an uncomfortable chill that runs across my arm from where he was just holding me.

Guess that solves my problem.

I open my eyes just to roll them at Luke. "You choose food over me?"

His pale face blanks and he looks dumbfounded at his step sister and my best friend, Veronika. 

She holds her hands up in defense, her soft brown hair shrugging off her shoulders as she does so. "Not my problem, bacon and eggs are downstairs when you're ready. I suggest going quick before we eat it all, though."

With that, she books it downstairs - which is easy for her to do since she's an amazing athlete. Luke debates following after her - he'd be nearly as quick since he's a great athlete too - but stops and shakes his head at my questioning glance.

"Sorry, sorry...You know how much I love Harry's bacon. But you're right, you are way better than any breakfast dish. I'll stay here with you." He states, his voice still somewhat groggy from sleep.

I stood still for a few seconds, a smile on my face at how sweet of a guy Luke was. However, since I really did know he was faster than me, I took my chances and began booking it towards the kitchen as well.

"Wait, what the hell?" I heard him question as I zoomed by.

A small chuckle escaped my lips. "I didn't know Harry was cooking. If I had I would've gotten up way earlier." Harry's cooking really was the best since he worked at a cafe with his Gran, who was the best cook in our small little town in Michigan.

I took a seat at the kitchen table, out of breath from the whole running thing. Ronnie and Harry looked at me questioningly while Luke came huffing to the table as well.

"Did you guys race or something?" Ronnie asked with an amused look now on her face.

Luke shook his head and plopped down beside me as I scooped bacon onto my plate. "No, she just loves Harry's cooking."

Harry, Ronnie's boyfriend and Luke's best friend since forever, grinned. "I am a good cook, aren't I?" he asked in his "playful" conceited tone. 

Everyone at the table rolled their eyes, including me. Harry was great, but boy sure could be full of himself at times.

"Moving on, what's on the agenda today?" Ronnie asked after taking a sip of orange juice.

No one spoke up, so I decided to state my plans first. "Well, Luke's going to drop me off at U-M before he trains a bit for hockey so I can pick my classes for the first semester and meet with my advisor. Then we were going to go back to school shopping, and depending on how long that takes maybe get take out and eat dinner at the park or something."

Ronnie smiled. "Aw, how cute. I'm so excited you guys are still going to be close to each other. It's great that you're commuting to school, Cel."

Luke nodded, smiling in agreement. "It is great. She'll be right around the corner whereas you'll be completely out of sight."