Seven Minutes

An Hour after Mrs Edwards had opened her own letter, she was sitting with a cup of hot chocolate in her hand, humming a song of angels. Amongst the tears and sighs, Mr Edwards sat at her kitchen table, staring at a bunch of papers, sifting through them, until she came across a letter that hit in her in the face. It was addressed to Annie, and the only Annie that she could recall had died a few years back. It had left her grand-daughter devastated. 

So she picked up the pale green coloured page, and sipped on her tea, failing to understand the emotions that could have been written down. She'd read on the front, Grandmother takes this to her parents, I hope you understand, and she did just that. She got in her flaming red car, drove across town and posted this crystalised envelope through the letterbox, hurrying away in fear of what it said.

"Dear Annie,

Beautiful, you're my beautiful princess, my glory and my hopes. Although you'll never read this tear stained paper, I still believe I should write to you, because you were a reason for living to me.

You came in, and you swept me up into your life, and before that, I was nothing, or at least, I don't remember being anything. I hardly consider before, when you weren't there. When you died, when it took you, I was angry, and everything came flooding back to me – how I was nothing before you.

If I were in the Olympics, or an Actress who'd won the Oscars, it'd be like waking up from it all, and the medals are gone, and you're nothing – it was all a dream and the one thing attached to it is gone forever. You were my shining glimmer of hope, that I could get somewhere.

I hope, I truly hope, that although you will never read this, that somewhere you know that you were everything to me because you were.

I was so angry when that filthy illness took you, and I had wished a thousand times over, that I'd have loved you my entire life, instead of a seven short years. It was our second year exactly, of meeting, when you'd told me. I laughed.

I had laughed then because I didn't believe someone as beautiful and smart, someone like you could be taken by something so vile and cruel.

Why is it always the gold that's trashed? I hope, for you, and for others like you, that it's murdered because otherwise, it was all for nothing. All of it.

I loved you, beautiful princess, truly, Maya."

It was then that Annie's parents realized exactly how Annie had died, and how Maya had become extremely depressed around the time; claiming it was her fault, all of it was her fault.

By the time she had finished reading, the faded girl whose hand appeared and disappeared in clicks had vanished completely. She was jaded and cold, completely far away from everyone else. The letter had disappeared from her view, and tears rolled down her cheeks as she saw a flicker in her fireplace. She didn't understand.