Six Minutes

Eight days after Miss Summers accident her grandparents on her mothers' side, had returned home from their week holiday in France. They were forced to continue their holiday by their daughter as 'That is what Maya would have wanted.' but they could not return fast enough to comfort their daughter. They had been made to read the will and the wishes Maya had set forward. Then they had a cream envelope shoved in their hands.

Miss Summer's grandparents were kind and generous. They were the sort that would give you pocket money just for appearing for a visit at their front door. Her grandmother had decided that she'd open the letter herself. This was because her husband was weak of heart and mind, and would not bear well with the words written inside.

"Dear Grandmother,

I say that, because I know grandfather will not wish to read this letter, but what I say is for both of you. I know at this point that I was lucky to have both of you in my lives, and I had wished as a little girl that you'd be there for my wedding being completed in that poisoned room. You were so close to me and I'd have refused to be wed without you.

You've been standing beside me my entire life, through university and job applications, and even through my worst breakups and everything in between. You were both my saviours in so many ways, and it hurts to know that I'll never truly get to say goodbye to either of you.

When it began to happen I couldn't move my feet but I was desperate to run to you. I shouted out to you and you looked at me with a smile on your face. I had to watch on as everything swarmed around me but I guess that's the best thing that could have happened, both of you were never good at goodbye's either, like Connor and Mother.

Because you've been so good to me through my life, and you've taken care of me, please do the same for Tilly, I know she'll look fine, and she'll seem to be able to deal with my death – she won't. I don't want her to go through the same tunnels I went through. The same with my mother, she'll be happier, now that my father is gone, but that won't take away the fact I'm dead, will it?

My tears are staining the paper. I wanted to say much more, but I don't think I can bear it. I can just imagine your faces when my mother picks up the phone with little courage to really tell you. At least I knew you and got to love you.

You were the best grandparents I could wish for, trust me, Maya."

Throughout her life, Mrs Edwards had dried up her tears with a little handkerchief, which she'd had on hand, just in case. However, Mrs Edwards didn't need the handkerchief, as she had no tears, she was perfectly content.

Mrs Edwards was perfectly comfortable with holding back the tears that threatened to spill down her cheeks, until a pair of arms wrapped around her waist and she began to cry. Her husband was her rock but she knew he would drown if he knew about their granddaughter.