Friendship

Chapter 3:

         Agatha sat down on the smooth wooden bench.  She stared at herself on the water and quickly looked away. She hated mirrors because she didn't want to see what other people saw of her.  She brushed away her black dome of greasy hair to see Sophie brushing her soft blond hair with her fingers, mumbling something about cucumbers. 

Agatha suddenly ask, "Why do you want to go to the school for good and evil?" 

Sophie looked at her and sighed. She then said, "Because I know I'm meant for an extraordinary life, not an ordinary one." Suddenly, Sophie looked sad. "I won't die like my mother who had an ordinary life, not loved by the person she loved. I still remember her last words were, 'Sophie you are too beautiful for this world." Sophie looked up at Agatha with tears in her eyes. Agatha felt a pang of sympathy for her. 

Agatha took a deep breath and asked the question she always wanted to know. "Sophie... do you think I'm a witch?" Sophie stopped crying.

"No... well...do you mean that you think you' ed go into the school for evil?" Agatha looked away, holding back the sudden tears. She didn't want to be a witch! No No NO!!!! 

"Everyone thinks I'm a witch", she mumbled.

 As Sophie was figuring out what to say, Agatha then realized something. "Sophie, do you know why I let you take me on a walk every day?"

"Because I'm fabulous and you also don't feel ordinary too?" Sophie asked in excitement. Agatha rolled her eyes. 

"No, because YOU make me feel ordinary, and that's the only thing I ever wanted to feel."

"Why is that?" Sophie asked, touched by what Agatha said.

"Because you are my best friend," Agatha said, thinking of all the moments they had together. Just Agatha and Sophie. 

The two girls said nothing for a while, until Agatha asked, "Can we be friends forever?" There was a short pause before Sophie smiled.

 "Yes," Sophie answered. The two girls looked at the pinky-red sunset while holding hands, and for the first time in history, Sophie didn't think of cucumbers once.