Underdog Chapter 16

It was the fastest of times. Senior year soon ended and graduation was right around the corner. Literally.

"Alright let's move on to the next." Apollo, my photographer for the Fall Edition of Jaloux Fashion, said.

As I ran to the dressing area in six inch high heels and people surrounding with makeup or trying to take accessories or a piece of clothing on me, I can't help but glance toward the new models. There were only two of them and both were quite beautiful. They didn't look at each other but they were thinking the same thing. This is their biggest opportunity.

"Where's my model?" Apollo yells.

I immediately ran to him despite being half naked. But as I ran to the set my crew quickly got me into another set of fall clothing.

Apollo quickly explained to me the setting and how I'm supposed to feel relating to the season and my clothes. Then I was once again in a role of flashing lights. Apollo sprinkle compliments after compliments at me but all that was all in a fog. Everything that they tell me still gets to me but when I'm behind the camera I black out and somehow it all works. Of course I still have to mind my poses and facial expressions but all that becomes second nature once the photo shoot starts.

Apollo calls the end of the shoot at around eight at night like it always is and I quickly run to my spot at the dressing area. I always tell my crew to take a rest when I'm done with the photo shoot because at the end of the day, I would like a time to myself where I can be private – as private as I can be in the dressing area – and undress myself. After, I bid them goodbye and headed to the very familiar glass door entrance of the floor. And like every night, Sonny was leaning on the wall waiting for me.

He takes me in his arms – the first thing he does – and gives me a hug running his hand across my back giving me a mini yet very soothing massage, then pulls back to kiss me. It was my favorite time of the day. He took me home that night and to my surprise there was no one home.

"Mom?" I yelled. No answer. "Mom?"

I felt a presence behind me. "Is no one home?" Sonny asked.

"I guess not. My mom is usually home around this time though." I turned on the light in the living room which brought me nice warm glow to my house.

"Check your phone. Maybe she left you a message." He suggested.

"Oh, yeah." I took my phone out and sure enough there was a text saying she was going home later. "She said she'll be late coming home. Do you want dinner?" I asked Sonny.

"Sure. I'm cooking." He said and headed to the kitchen.

I followed after him. "Hold on. Why do you always cook? I want to cook for you, too."

"I don't want you to." When we were in the kitchen he turned around. "I don't want you to do any work right now. I know you're exhausted with school and work and all, so this is something little that I can do for you."

"But you always cook for me. It's not fair if you always cook. I want to cook for you, too." I said.

He surprised me by putting his hands on both sides of my face. "Maybe in the near future. Cooking should be your job soon." He smiled, then let go of my face. It was perfect timing that he turned around that my cheeks started to feel warm and tingly. His statement made me tingle all over that I had to leave the room and cool off in the couch. But before I settled on the couch I said to him, "Fine, suit yourself."

After dinner we went up to my room. We read each other our favorite books. He finished reading to me his favorite book, the Hobbit, the prequel or The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, so it was my turn to read him mine. My favorite author is Sarah Dessen and in my opinion Lock and Key is one of her best.

He listened to me as I quoted what Dessen wrote on a piece of paper that has now given every teenager hope of finding love wherever you may be sent to. After six chapters of the book, I detached myself from the book and suddenly the feeling of reality crashed down on me. I thought for a second I thought I was in Ruby's world. For a second I thought I was Ruby.

I blink away almost overflowing tears and turned my head to Sonny. He was on his side leaning his head on my upper arm, asleep. I quietly closed the book and put it on my bedside table. I gently lifted his head up so I can slide down from my half-sitting position so I can lie down next to him. I lifted myself on one elbow as I hovered half of my body on top of him to look at him closely. I run my fingers through his brown, curly crown of hair.

I sigh. "What did I do?" I run a finger across his face slowly. "What did I do to deserve you?"

All of a sudden his eyes opened and the next thing I know I was in his arms. I gasped at the clash of our bodies but was immediately lost in his golden teal eyes.

"Don't say that." He whispered so softly to me. But his eyes yelled those words at me.

"I'm sorry." I said. I was loosing my voice at his stare.

He sighed and kissed me on the forehead. "It's the other way around."

"What?" It was a very soft whisper and I did hear it. I just didn't quiet get what he meant. But all that confusion was gone when he pulled me closer and kissed me. His kisses where always soft and I enjoyed how careful he was with me. It was a gentle way of saying that he loves me. After a couple of minutes, I broke our kiss.

"Sonny, can you do me a favor?" I asked him.

We were not out of breath because of our gentle kisses. There is no hunger for physical contact. But our love was to great.

He studied me with his eyes and realizing what I wanted him to do his eyes softened. "Are you sure about that, Ella?"

"You are my first love."

"i want to wed you first." He whispered it with such confidence in his voice that I almost changed my mind.

"We might not be able to see each other again. Going to Italy to study and having a relationship might not work."

"I can move there with you. And then make you my wife." He smiled.

"I can't do that to you. Your family is here and you have to take care of your parents and their business."

"But how can I live with out you?" Sonny asked with such pain in his voice. It was breaking my heart seeing him like this, but I knew I had to remind him what will come after my graduation and the summer.

"You can." I took a deep breath. "And you will. If we see each other again, then maybe we can start over."

"Or continue." He suggested.

"Or continue our relationship. I would definitely love that." I said.

We looked at each other for what seemed like short minutes. He understands what I have to do for my family and for myself by studying fashion in Italy. We've fought about it and it scared me to death that us fighting about it will result in us breaking up. But in the end it was always Sonny that softens the mood. He is always the first to apologize and forgive.

"I am completely in love with you." Sonny said.

"I will forever be in love with you." I said back.

In the end it was late and he had to go home. I returned to the spot he once occupied and immediately fell asleep.

****

whooo. this was hard to write! enjoy :]