Underdog Chapter 11

"Good night." Sonny said. He gave me a peck on the lips before he smiled at me.

"Good night, Sonny." I said.

I closed the door behind me and headed to my room. It is around eleven at night and I am exhausted. Sonny took me out on our third date. It's been two weeks after our first date and the news still haven't quieted down. The news that Ella Pine was dating a twenty two year old hotie from Europe plagued the school and suddenly I was Miss Popular. Everyone started to say hi to me at school and I can only feel obligated to say hello back. But it is getting exhausting. I just want everything to go back to normal where I was mostly ignored and people that really cared about me were the only ones to greet me.

What is bothering me more though is Emy. After the news that I was dating  someone spread around the school, he acknowledged me lesser and lesser. What used to be a daily greeting became a small nod my way or a smile.

I collapsed on my bed and stared at the ceiling. At least the whole school still doesn't know about my part-time job. I can't imagine what their reaction would be like. Working for a magazine would be bigger news than me dating a European. I'm suddenly thankful for my friends' loyalty. I made them swear.

Half awake, I undressed and went to bed thinking about Emy of all people.

****

Bzzzz bzzzz bzzzz...... bzzz bzzzz bzzzz

I reached for my phone subconsiously. It's freakin Saturday! Did I forget to turn my alarm clock off?

I looked at the screen to see Sam's text. I open it.

Hey, can i come over? - sam

sure. what's up? - ella

i have to tell you something :| - sam

what's wrong? - ella

i'll tell you when i get there - sam

I rested my head back on my pillow. Sam sounded worried and what ever she has to tell me is making me a little unsettled.

I waited for the doorbell to ring and left bed to answer it. It was around nine in the morning and I don't feel the need to dress up. Sam's seen me in worse outfits than my pajamas.

I opened the door to a guilty looking Sam. She was fidgeting with her phone on her hands. I allowed her to enter and closed the door behind her. When the door clicked, I felt a pull on my arm and was led upstairs back to my room. Sam sat me on my unmade bed while she paced in front of me.

"Sam, what's wrong?" I asked, following her with my eyes.

"Is your mom home?" She asked. She had a frown on her face.

"No. She went to work three hours ago. You know that." I still watched her as she fidgeted in front of me. I know this guilty look on her face. "Alright. Spill it."

She groaned and collapsed on my bed face down. She mumbled something.

"What was that?" I asked.

She turned around. "You're going to hate me."

I shook my head. "Okay. Why am I going to hate you?"

"Because." She said before crashing her mouth on my bed and mumbled something again.

"Sam, just tell me what you did and get it over with.

"I'm a bad friend."

My eyebrows furrowed. "Why? To who?"

"To you," she said before she sighed, "because...ugh! I can't take it anymore. I set you up with Sonny."

I was still confused. "Yah, I know that. Now what's wrong with that?"

"I asked Sonny to take you out on the dates." She said.

I froze. I replayed what she said in my head over and over again until it finally settled in.

"What?" Suddenly my head hurt. "Why would you do that?" My sight was beginning to blur.

"I'm sorry." She sat up. "It's just that I wanted you to be happy with someone who's as great as you and I wasn't willing to wait. I know how great Sonny is and so I asked him if he could ask you out on your first date." Sam said. She was clutching on to my arm, begging me to see her objective.

But all I can think about was the fact that Sonny wasn't even the one who wanted to go on a date with me like what I thought. Sam asked him for a favor. And I couldn't help but be touched and be hurt at the same time. I knew all of this was too good to be true.

I sighed. "Sam, it's alright. I knew it was all too good anyway."

She groaned and crashed on my bed again. "Ah! I feel horrible! I really am sorry, Ella. I just wanted you to be happy."

"For a while I was. And even though it wasn't real, I still thank you because I, for the first time, experienced my first date...and my first kiss."

She bolted up. "Your first kiss? He kissed you?" I nodded. "I never asked him to." She said.

I blushed. "So that was him, then?"

She half nodded and half shook her head. "I swear, I only asked him to go on a date with you. I didn't tell him where and what he's supposed to do." She was smiling like crazy and I can feel her jumping on my bed.

I blushed even more. So all that was for real?

*****