Chapter Three

I'm going to throw up...

I covered my mouth and squeezed my eyes tightly before sighing as the curling in my stomach lessened for the moment as the ship rocked heavily along the harder waves, we were nearing a storm and it was something I could feel approaching in the distance. I looked up at the roaring sky as lightening sparked within, I looked back down at Ammie as she sat near me with her eyes closed, a piece of bread hanging from her mouth as she softly slept. I wrapped my arm around her protectively as she stirred from the heavy rocking of the boat before dosing off once more, I wish I could sleep as easily as her but the thought of land was on my mind, who knew how long we would be at sea? I wanted to get to land as soon as possible but I knew the real tormenting started there, while I wasn't being tormented yet, I knew it was waiting for us to dock then the men would flock with happiness to watch the prizes walk by. 

Jewelries, exotic foods, and even women and children would catch their eyes, and most of the items would be sold for currency, the Vikings would give away their less valuables like the jewelry and keep their women, or the opposite if they find their chosen women pitiful. The boat slammed heavily, causing one of the heavy Vikings to go tumbling down to the ground heavily, he released a heavy grown as a few laughed at his face plant. I placed a hand over my mouth as I knew to stay seated, I was scared that I would go off the side of the ship if the same happened to me, I nibbled on my lip as I tired to find Twelve, it was odd thinking of him as a number.

"Catch the food!" A heavy voice yelled, making everyone halt in shock as one of the middle baskets rolled to the side and food tumbled out.

Boule breads rolled from the basket with small fruits following behind it, I gasped as I quickly moved to catch Twelve's teetering basket, Ammie awoke from the abrupt movement as I grabbed the side and managed to steady it as we hit yet another heavy wave. The boat jumped from the force as the Vikings and everyone else moved to grab onto something, I gasped as I stumbled and thankfully fell into Twelve as he quickly caught me then grabbed Ammie by her wrist. I clutched to him as the boat shook and almost tipped over, causing us to fall to the floor and Ammie and I to roll under one of the benches with Twelve still exposed. He grabbed onto the siding of the boat as it twisted around and we were now facing the way we came, flickers of water danced through the air and landed as Twelve tried to get to his feet while I looked at a critter that managed to find it's way onto the ship. 

I backed away in shock as it suctioned itself to the flooring board, my eyes widened as it sat their with a orange toned back facing up to the sky, it had five appendages branching from the middle of it's body. I soon forgot the creature was there as I found Twelve to be missing, I gasped as I quickly pulled myself from under the bench to find him slowly pulling himself to his feet. I watched as he clutched his upper arm with blood spewing from it, I frowned as I quickly rushed to his side and examined the bleeding wound with his hand still blocking my view. It spewed heavily as he grunted and fell to the ground, I watched as he moved his hand and grabbed ahold of the buried blade handle before taking a heavy breath that prepared him for the pain he was going to feel after removing it. 

Holding his breath, he started to pull the blade out and the sound of blood hitting the ground made my world tilt a little, I couldn't regain my composure as I slumped against someone and everything went black.

I felt sick to the stomach as I opened my eyes and felt the soothing sensation of chillness on my forehead, I moaned as I blinked to clear my vision, it was almost midnight as I stared up at the many stars staring down at me. I reached up and grabbed my forehead as I slowly moved to sit up, but a hand on my shoulder stopped me as I looked at Twelve while he held a wet cloth in his hand, his arm was heavily bandaged and other than that, he was perfectly fine with a small bruise above his eyebrow. I reached up and touched the outer side of the bruise before looking to meet his beautiful blue eyes, I stared at him for a second before pulling away and looking for Ammie as she sat on a bench and stared up at the stars with determination. 

She was so focused that she didn't even notice I was awake and that I was watching her as she stared up at the sky, her young looks keep her youth strong, I smiled lightly as I saw movement out the corner of my eye to find Twelve sitting back on the bench and staring up at the sky as well. I finally looked up and stared at the sky as well, what shocked me that it was closer than usual with many stars facing down at us, no cloud was in sight as I stared at the beauty of the sky. We were no where near my old home now, farther than I had anticipated us to be but it was still so beautiful and I admired it's beauty with no shame. I nibbled on my lip as I allowed my eyes to drop back to the handsome man before me as he stared at me, his eyes stared intensely with no shame as I sheepishly averted my eyes before smiling shyly. I looked up at him once more before looking at Ammie as she finally turned and noticed me wide awake, she released a loud happy sound and ran into my embrace as I smiled and hugged her tight to me.

"I was so scared." Ammie whispered to me as she buried her face in my chest.

"I would never leave you." I promised her, even not knowing what the future held.

I held her tightly to me before looking up at Twelve as he watched on, his intensive expression didn't waver as he watched me hold Ammie tight to me, I wasn't going to let anything happen to her. I cared for this child and I felt like it was my fault she was on the boat with me, I had grown fond of her and it was easy to tell she had grown fond of me as well, I wanted to keep her as my own but I knew it would take time and time wasn't on my side right now. I looked at Ammie once more, she kept her face buried in my chest as I held her, I was scared to let her go because I didn't want to leave her alone with anyone but myself. I closed my eyes and released a soft prayer for the night, I was in desperate need of rest and I knew Ammie probably was too.

                                                                                                                           ~Evy