Chapter Two

I awoke to the sound of the swishing waves as they crashed against the heavy armored boat that kept me captive but safe along the flow of the ocean, the heavy waves made the pendant necklace smack against my chest as I laid on the bench with Ammie close to my chest in a protective manner. I glanced around and took in the peace and quietness of the ship as most of the vikings slept, the ship rocked gently and after finally realizing what was happening with the ship, I started to get seasick. I reached up and cupped my mouth fearfully, I didn't want to barf on the boat or Ammie so I had to make the second best choice, I pulled away from Ammie and dashed to the side of the bench. I grabbed the edge and tipped my head over as the burning liquid poured from my stomach, I gagged as the vomit poured into the ocean thickly and I was sure I was getting more than just seasick, I could be getting an infection of some sort. 

I slowly pulled my head back and wiped the back of my hand over my mouth while sheepishly glancing around to see if anyone was awake to witness my embarrassment. I looked up to find the solo Viking that hadn't let me out of his sight since he found me, the one that gifted me a necklace that probably notified others that I was taken, the one barbarian Viking that took me from my home. He silently held a water-skin to me as I kept my hand cupped over my mouth, the repulsive taste of vomit rung in my mouth and that drink would be helpful but there was still small bickering in the back of my head that old me not to trust him. I nibbled on my lip before dropping my hand and nervously reaching for the water-skin, the Viking gestured it toward me once more and I took it while still looking into his deep blue eyes as they stared back at me shamelessly. 

I then lifted the water-skin nozzle to my mouth and lifted the pack, allowing the liquid to flow into my mouth and immediately, it caused me to recoil in disgust as the burning in my throat maximized, the disgusting taste of brandy assaulted my taste buds as the big Viking laughed at my reaction. I found no humor as I glared at him while aggressively throwing the opened water-skin back at him with no second thought, the brandy splashed into his lap as he sat up like it was fire, he quickly grabbed the water-skin and used the opposite hand to observed his brandy-soiled lap. I regrettably crossed my arms over my chest and averted my eyes, I was hoping he wouldn't clap me over the head or even sacrifice me to the sharks tailing behind us because of such a move but it was a risk that I took none of the less. 

I looked back at the barbarian Viking finally before watching as he took his seat and wiped at the small droplets of brandy that sat in his lap, he looked up at me finally and just stared, probably shocked about me throwing his liquor all over his lap. I was shocked myself, I had never thought of such a bold move on anyone and while our village never drunk wines or brewery drinks, I knew exactly what it was and it could make people do pretty crazy things. Instead, the man reached into his basket once more and pulled out a loaf of bread that made my stomach growled heavily, I reached and cupped my stomach with a frown before looking at the full loaf of bread as the Viking stared at it as well. I didn't know his intentions but I hope they weren't going to be to let some good bread go to waste, I did not want to risk my own innocence or dignity for food so I was going to play this smart and safe. 

I stared at the loaf of bread as the barbarian Viking stared at me, I rose an eyebrow and what shocked me most was that his thick eyebrow mimicked mine and only made him look even scarier with a scowl. I immediately started to consider just going back to bed on an empty stomach because I had no idea what this man wanted from me, I could be sold into the slave trade by the time we reach inland, and it seems he's not much of a talker unless actually provoked.

"Are you... going to eat that?" I asked quietly, not wanting to disturb the sleeping others or Vikings on duty.

He didn't reply, only looked at it then looked back up with yet another scowl, I nibbled on my lip and averted my eyes while wondering what I would find for food, I had no idea who would give me food out the kindness of their heart. I looked back at the unnamed Viking before looking down at the golden pendant on my chest, if I was his property, then he should be feeding me... correct? It's like if you have animals, you're suppose to feed them to keep them alive and love them out the comfort of your own heart, but I'm no animal. Finally, the Viking moved closer to me and I immediately tensed from the movement, his intentions still weren't clear and I was hoping he wouldn't ask for anything in return, while that was very rare. The Viking held the bread toward me, it was a piece of boule from a French settlement, I was sure and I could care less how old it was, I'm going to devour it none of the less.