Chapter 17

"Is that everyone?" Stiles glanced around and mentally ticked off the pack, who were more or less just fine. He nodded to his Dad but before he knew it, he was being pulled by the collar away from the pack.

"What in the hell happened?"

"Well...Some mythological beings came strolling through town, murdered - Wait, 'stole Peter's life', we tried to stop them and get his life or spirit thing back but they just chained us up and now they're back to strolling through the town. Did I thank you for saving us? I mean I got the idea to contact you, but hey, good job on your part," Stiles stared with his big brown eyes while his dad glared back. A millisecond from raging.

Meanwhile, Argent and Allison collected their belongings from the basement stash then handed everyone else's stuff before leaving in their car, "We'll drive around the center and keep a look out, I suggest you do the same." Argent nodded to the Sheriff who returned it with a grim smile and a nod.

"Stiles, come home...Please. What they did to you and your friends already is bad enough. I'll call in and tell everyone on the road to keep an eye out. I want everyone under 18 with their parents or in one house together. Where it's safe," The sheriff gave Stiles a stern look and to each of his friends. He knew they could hear and he knew they wouldn't listen but that's what parenthood is about, they keep trying anyway.

"Can they stay over?"

"Everyone?" Stiles hesitantly nodded and looked past him, Derek had already was already on his way through his own track. His heart sank a little as he shook his head quickly in response.

His dad sighed and rubbed his temples in a circular motion, "Alright yeah. It's getting late anyway. If these weirdos are still out there, I'd rather know where everyone is. Do they have a lift?" Stiles looked back and gave a nod to the five others who were crowded around the entrance of the church.

"Thanks for letting us stay Mr Stilinski," Lydia chimed as she closed the front door behind her. Scott settled in just as usual in the kitchen to find food while Erica and Boyd trudged to the sofa to rest up. Lydia followed Stiles and his dad to the kitchen and met Scott half way through leftovers in a container.

"Want me to order delivery?" The Sheriff questioned. A joined 'yes' came from the lounge and Stiles nodded eagerly.

"I'm going to text Allison, see if there's anything new." Lydia stated.

"Ask where she is, I'll try and find out where dad's guys are at," Stiles skipped up the staircase and slipped his shirt off half way through his bedroom door but froze in place just as he flicked the light switch.

"How long have you been here?"

"Just arrived. Returning this," Derek waved his hand with a bunch of papers clipped together in the air and bluntly added it to the mess on Stiles' desk.

"Are you here to stay?" Stiles fumbled with his shirt in his hands and leaned against his dresser for steadiness.

"Well there's two crazy, supernatural people out and about so I should probably tend to that. Heard from Allison?"

Stiles shook his head, "Uh..Not yet. Or not that I know of. Um, okay. Well you didn't have to give that back by the way. Not like I need it for school or anything." It felt like Derek's eyes were burning into him...and he liked it. It seemed like he was curious but also like he knew everything.

He cleared his throat and threw his shirt on the bed then turned to grab a clean one from behind him, "Well what are you still doing here then. You've returned my report. I don't see -" A light touch on his waist sent shivers down his spine and gave him goose bumps then something wet pressed against the back of his neck. He sighed involuntarily and turned around. Derek had his eyes closed and when he opened them, his face, his features, his shoulders, everything - just seemed so relaxed. Stiles opened his mouth but stopped himself.

He wanted to endure this moment because Derek Hale is not known to be this gentle with others.

Or to be this close to someone like Stiles Stilinski.

"Go...You have a pack to protect and a town to sort of live in. We'll try to make up something from here," Stiles whispered. He hated himself for pushing him away but he knew better than to beg him to stay. When he found a shirt from the top of his dresser and slid it on, he just caught Derek's head descending from his bedroom window and with a sigh he grabbed his laptop and returned downstairs.