Chapter 2

He could have climbed through Stiles' window but he knew he wasn't in there, so he rung the doorbell a couple times. 

He heard a groaning sound and a thump, then heavy footsteps coming to the door, "Do you know wha - Derek. What are you doing here?" 

Derek glared at him then looked behind Stiles to see his messy creation of studying, "I can come back tomorrow if you're busy." He shook his head quickly, "No, no come in. I'm almost finishing anyway. Make yourself comfortable." Stiles walked back to his laptop and got into what looked like a really awkward and uncomfortable position on the couch. 

"Um, you're doing school work like that?" 

The boy looked up, "Yeah why? I can think better like this. I'm just about to hit the word limit so give me a sec." Derek shrugged, he knew well it wouldn't be a 'sec' and looked further around the room. 

He noticed a finished game of chess in the corner - no doubt the Sheriff beat him and the dining table with leftovers and take out food scattered around. He made his way through the kitchen and got a bottle of water out then back towards Stiles but then he noticed a bookcase on the other side of the room. 

Might as well kill some time, Derek thought. "Hey big wolf, could ya read this? My brain thinks it makes sense and I know for a fact it doesn't," Derek gave him a look as he sat down with his chosen book, "I will if you call me by my name," 

Stiles rolled his eyes and rolled off the couch to sit up himself up next to Derek on the couch, who sighed and reluctantly gave it a read and tried to focus while Stiles stared at him like he was getting his result tonight. 

"This is good," 

"So, it made sense?" 

"Well, most of it yeah. You kind of said a lot of unnecessary things," like always,  he thought to himself, "but it's good." Stiles gave him a questioning look, "Just good?" 

Derek nodded slowly, "Is that bad?" 

"Well if I wanted a 'B' yeah," He took the laptop out of Derek's lap and sat on the floor, staring at the screen. Derek couldn't wait any longer though, he needed to tell Stiles about Peter but he just wanted to sleep. No matter where he was right now, he just wanted to sleep. 

Derek laid across the couch, propping his head on the soft arm rest, book at  the ready and read...Although the words didn't really process in his mind. His eyes drifted towards Stiles, focusing hard on the insanely bright screen and noticed his eyes were almost dropping as well. His eyes darted back when Stiles abruptly closed the lid of the laptop, snatched a notebook from the floor and turned around to rest it on the couch, "I think the table is a better surface to work on Stiles," Derek heard Stiles' heart quicken a little. 

"I can work however I want, Derek." Stiles rested his elbow on the couch, scribbling away in his notepad. 

After a few chapters or so into the book, Derek noticed how steady Stiles' breathing was, not that he was checking every few minutes, but he noticed. It was steady enough for someone to be..."Good night Stiles," he whispered. 

He rested the book beside him as he looked at the human boy, so invested in his school, and wondered how he could be in such a position to even pull the sarcasm card with werewolves when he had school to worry about and in a couple years, college. He felt his eyes droop a little, but he continued staring at the tired boy, who looked so soft and innocent in his sleep.

Derek reached carefully to pull the pen out of Stiles' fingers and slid the notepad out from under his cheek. He was hesitant but thought, what the hell, and brushed back Stiles' ruffled hair and he smiled a little before dropping into a deep sleep himself.