Chapter 61

"What did you say to your father?" Ben asked Mamie as she walked into their bedroom from the bathroom that night.

Mamie shook her head as she put down her phone on her bedside table. "What are you talking about?"

"I just called him to ask if I could borrow his clubs and he said something about me hurting you and insinuated I was having an affair." Ben was furious. "What in the hell is going on? I thought we agreed to keep our problems to ourselves."

Mamie started packing her bag for Indianapolis. "We also agreed we would work on things. How are we supposed to work on things if you are never here? This is the first night you've been in OUR bed in I don't know how long. I'm not going to lie to my parents. You haven't seen or talked to them since Christmas; and aren't going to Indy this weekend. My mom was concerned."

"You shouldn't talk to your parents about me, Mary Willa." Ben exploded.

Mamie began packing even faster. "They're MY parents. Why the hell do you care?"

"Your parents can make my life a living hell." Ben yelled. "They can ruin my career."

Mamie laughed as she went into the bathroom to get some things. "Have you even MET my parents? They aren't going to say or do anything. They don't want drama; they don't want their kids to have drama."

"You created this drama." Ben yelled. "And you're going to fucking fix it?"

Mamie's eyes got huge. "I CREATED THIS? How in the hell did I create this? I am the one in our home, and bed, every night waiting for you to come home. I am the one taking roles I really don't want in order to have more time for you. I am the one doing EVERYTHING I know to get pregnant to make YOU happy. Yet, the only time when you touch me is because you have to touch me to fuck me and get me pregnant; and that's exactly what is, Benjamin: it's fucking. There aren't any feelings. You save the feelings for her, don't you?"

"You're nuts." Ben said.

Mamie went over to him. "If I'm so nuts then why are there all these charges to our credit card?Hotels, restaurants, gifts-all places from here in the city though it has nothing to do with me. You didn't even get me anything for Christmas! I think you only went to Mom's Kennedy Center Honors for recognition. That will help your career won't it? Being the dutiful son-in-law of the great Meryl Streep; that will sure get you roles."

"You are such a spoiled little bitch." Ben yelled. "You drag my name through the mud and I'll drag all the Streeps and Gummers with me. I want 75% of everything we have."

Mamie continued to pack her bag. "What in the hell? Almost EVERYTHING we have is thanks to the trust from my parents as well as Grandma Mary and Grandpa Harry. You brought NOTHING into this marriage. I purchased the apartment and our cars and EVERYTHING. You're lucky to even get a fucking role."

"Fuck you." Ben hissed.

Mamie continued packing her things. "You're the worst fuck ever; maybe whatever her name is gets it better than I do. We're done. You, Benjamin Walker are so fucking done. I want you out of MY apartment by the time I get back from Indy. If you're not; you'll be removed."

"I don't need to listen to this." Ben stormed out. 

Mamie slammed the door behind him as she burst into tears. She looked around and felt overwhelmed. She didn't know what to do; she just wanted to go home, to a home she felt safe in.

***

Don was awoken from his deep slumber thinking he heard a door close. He immediately looked over and Meryl was still in bed beside him; so he figured he was just hearing things. Just as he was about to curl up next to his wife and go back to sleep he heard footsteps on the stairs. That is when he knew he wasn't dreaming or imagining things. He was glad that Meryl was still asleep, he hoped that he could take care of whoever it was before she woke up. He got into their closet to grab the baseball bat he kept there. Just as he was about to walk out of their bedroom the door opened at their oldest daughter was standing there with a bag, in tears. Don immediately put down the bat. "Shit Mames, you scared me. Are you okay, Mamie girl?"