Chapter 10

The next couple of weeks were busy, but quiet for the Gummers. Meryl wrapped up shooting Hope Springs; while Don was busy in his studio in Connecticut. Luckily, things had been quiet regarding the mysterious person who was asking around about them; and who had made them so jumpy. Don told Meryl that he wasn't going to let his guard down; he still wanted them to be on the lookout. Meryl knew why he said that; he felt that Mann took her and Henry over 30 years ago when they let down his guard. He was always checking on her to make sure she was safe, while she did the same with him as she was convinced he was the focus of this person's questioning and phone calls. While they were becoming more relaxed as time went on; they were still on guard. Meryl and Don went back to New York City as soon as she wrapped the film on the 29th. With some help from their girls, Don was able to coordinate her surprise for their 33rd wedding anniversary the next day.

***

"There you are." Meryl said walking into the kitchen and wrapping her arms around him from behind. "I was disappointed to wake up alone on our anniversary."

Don smiled as he turned around in her arms and gave her a long, lingering, kiss. "I promise I will make it up to you tonight."

"You're very overdressed." Meryl said as her hands went to the buttons on his shirt. "I can take care of that."

Don laughed as he moved her hands away. "I have a busy day ahead; and so do you."

"Let him go." Mamie teased walking into the kitchen.

Grace trailed in behind her sister. "Yeah, yeah; enough is enough. We don't want a surprise baby brother or sister."

"Not funny." Don said with a panicked look on his face.

Meryl couldn't help but laugh at the look on her husband's face. They were greatly enjoying their empty nest. "That ship has well and truly sailed."

"But the other ship that leads to those surprises hasn't sailed." Don said wiggling his eyes at her and pulling her close, kissing her.

Mamie pulled a face. "EW."

"You're just as bad as her, Dad." Grace teased.

Don dipped Meryl back to place another kiss, a noisy kiss for their girls' benefit, on her lips. "Hey, if  we weren't gross then you two, and your brother and sister, wouldn't even be here."

"Oh GOD!" Grace said covering her ears as she pretended to be grossed out, though she and her siblings loved how in love their parents were after all these years. "Let's go get ready, Mai."

Meryl laughed as she watched two of their girls walk off. "What are they doing here? You know how I love it when ANY of them are home. Shouldn't our anniversary be just us?"

"Oh, it will be." Don winked as he poured her some coffee and handed it to her. "Tonight."

Meryl shook her head not following. "I won't see you all day?"

"You will be too busy being pampered to miss me." Don said eating his toast and decided to answer questioning look. "A day at the spa and lunch with Mai and Gracie. Then when you get home there will be instructions. YOU aren't paying for anything. It's all taken care of."

Meryl placed a long kiss on his lips. "Happy Anniversary, my Don Man. Boy, do I love you."

"I love you so much, Mrs. Gummer." Don said kissing her forehead as a sign of his love and protection. "Happy 33."

Meryl smiled at him. "We can still talk, right? This isn't like us not being able to see each other or talk before our weddings."

"No, baby." Don laughed. "It's not. I want you and the girls to be safe. I got you a car and driver so you don't need to take cabs or the subway or anything or worry about parking the car and walking."