Chapter 22

She hadn’t seen her dad smile like that in a while. His hair was parted neatly, and his hands clasped in front of him. He looked young; Kate thought the photo was taken before she was born.

“I took this photo from one of the offices,” she said to the other two. “How did my dad get in it?”

“What?” Mel rushed beside her. Annie put the metal container gently on the bed and then sat on her other side.

“Which one is he?”

“Here, in the front.”

“Was he, like, important or something? A scientist?”

“No. He used to work in a factory, but now he can barely hold down a job. Why is he in this photo?”

“Wait,” cried Annie. “That’s my mum.” She pointed to the picture. A few rows back from her father stood a serious looking woman in a dress suit. She had white pearls around her neck and thick jaw. Annie must have gotten her sweet heart-shaped face from her dad.

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, that’s her. She still wears those pearls.”

Mel grabbed the photo and searched the rows of faces.

“I don’t recognise anyone.” She said, her shoulders lowered.

“There were other photos in that office.”

“Do you think this has something to do with our codes? Our parents were definitely involved in something.”

“I don’t know,” replied Melanie. “We’ll talk to the others when they get back, see what they say. Everything we’re been through today and we’ve gotten more questions than answers. Hopefully Peter will be well enough to move tomorrow.”

They all went quiet at the mention of Peter.

“So, who gets which bed?” asked Mel, with a strained smile.

“I’ll bunk with Kate,” said Annie.

“No, you two go get some sleep; you’re the ones that need to be useful tomorrow. I’ll keep watch.”

  “Are you sure, after today-

“I’m fine,” she said, cutting off Mel. “Let me do this.”

“OK. There’s some first aid stuff in with the food, for your arm.”

“Thanks Mel.”

Out of words, Kate dragged the rickety chair from the corner and proped it near the window. She sat down and instantly regretted it, it was so uncomfortable. At least she wouldn’t fall asleep in it. Mel clambered into one of the beds, while Annie brushed off the candy from the other. Both girls laid down under the blankets full clothed and within minutes Kate heard their breathing soften slowing into the tell-tale sound of sleep.

Kate took off her hoodie. It stung to move her arm, but it wasn’t hurting as bad now. She rolled up her sleeve, afraid to look. When she did, she was almost disappointed. There area was red, and there was a lot of dried blood, but it was just a graze. It was a little deep and about an inch or two long, but compared to what Peter was going through right now it felt like nothing. Kate cleaned the area with some wound wipes and patched it up, no worse for wear. She was exhausted, but she used the pain and all her questions to keep her awake. Grabbing the photograph, she settled herself in for a long night.

Melanie woke up at about four in the morning, and after some whispered arguing, relieved Kate of her post. Her whole body was sore, not just from the chair, but from everything that had happened the day before. She wasn’t even sure if she would sleep, but as soon as her head hit the pillow, she was out.